Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I recently bought a laptop, and took this opportunty to dip my toes into Linux for the first time. So far i've enjoyed it! I've got SUSE Linux 10.2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hot Laptop in SUSE

Hi! I recently bought a laptop, and took this opportunty to dip my toes into Linux for the first time. So far i've enjoyed it! I've got SUSE Linux 10.2 installed but I find that my computer runs very hot in Linux, i.e. the fans kick in and start making noise etc. I've got Windows Vista on the other partition (It took me ages to get Vista to behave with Linux) and it runs a lot cooler (the fans hardly ever run), which is strange because I would have thought Vista would be more CPU intensive than Linux (It uses far more RAM). Heres the specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.66GHz
    RAM: 2GB
    Laptop: HP Pavillion dv2000

I've got the i386 version of SUSE installed, because Vista says its a 32 bit system, and not wanting to try too many new things at once, I chose the 32 bit Linux. Would changing to the 64 bit version make any difference? I think my computer would support a 64 bit OS but i'm not sure.

Any Ideas?
    Anjum

I have a HP dv2000t and it runs Linux fine. It runs cooler than my windows install, and I usually get more battery life out of it on Linux. You have to use the correct utilities to get your processor scaled down.

I use cpufreqd and cpufrequtils to control mine, but there are many other options out there. Check your distro's documentation to see if you can find some power saving applications out there, and how to use them.

I use Gentoo Linux 64 bit on my dv2000t with C2D T5600 (1.83GHz).

Also, on my google pages, I keep my laptop progress with linux updated. So far everything works.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry