Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, If this isnt a right topic please move this thread. I finaly got $2500 and I decided to buy laptop. I am looking at this toshiba(P100-S9762): http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/...HO&poid=365656 I heard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Toshiba laptop

Hello,

If this isnt a right topic please move this thread.

I finaly got $2500 and I decided to buy laptop. I am looking at this toshiba(P100-S9762):

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/...HO&poid=365656

I heard a lot about some crappy batteries which dont work after a year of usage. If enyone knows if this laptop has that batteries please tell me.

The second thing is: Is this a good laptop (not just about preformance)
    Id like to bee sure it will work for about 4 years. So I hope it wont stop working.

And the last thing:
    Is possible to get something like "AUX" power so when battery would be empty I could have some other "battery" which would charge it.

Sorry for my mistakes...I am just too upset..

Thanks in advance,

Jan

Here is what I don't like about Toshibas

You can not fix them yourself. You have to take them to a certified technician nor can you buy parts.

That being said I have had a toshiba for 4 trouble free years running Slackware. The cd rom just died and they won't sell me a new one. i have to take to to a shop and have it replaced for 300 dollars. the lappy is 4 years old not worth it to fix, but If I could by a new cd rom for half that and put it in myself I would resurect it. I would find a lappy you can service yourself if needed. Stay away from HP too. i really like my macs and dells myself.

Just my 02
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Ya thank for advice, but I am not worried about that. I know you need tons of money for repairing laptops, but I need one for school...

I hope cdrom wont die...lol

Just Joined!
    Have you tried Ebay. I've (re)built quite a few Toshibas from parts bought off there. I've still got chassis and two motherboards for my Satellite 4080xcdt laying around. you can find a busted machine and pull the cdrom or some have the cdrom pulled.

its ok...I will buy it on nakupi.net

Just Joined!
    As far as being impossible to work on:

I have a Satellite s353 that has seen heavy use by college students for all of its 6-7 year life. The plastic is cracking now, the thing is falling apart, but it functioned flawlessly until recently. Even now, with its age catching up, I've been able to find what few parts I've needed and make repairs myself.

Macs are the ones that are impossible to work on :P (that might just be because I learned troubleshooting on a PC, not a mac).

After all that, I'd recommend an IBM/Lenovo. Toshiba makes awfully darned good machines, but rumors on notebookforums.com (where you'll find more reviews, by the way) say their newer machines aren't quite as good as the old ones. IBM, meanwhile, is turning out machines that are as good as ever (as long as you don't mind a boring black case).

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
    Stay away from HP too.
    Why are you saying this? I plan to buy a laptop and liked an hp. Have you encountered any problems?
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041