Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm kinda new to the wonderful world of Linux, but unfortunately I've run into problems. Therefore I hope someone out there can help me out I have decided that I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Linux without losing data on XP-partition...

I'm kinda new to the wonderful world of Linux, but unfortunately I've run into problems. Therefore I hope someone out there can help me out

I have decided that I want to install Red Hat Linux unto my laptop (Medion 6200, 2.6GHz P4, 512 PC3200, GeForceFX Go5200, 40GB Hitachi Harddisk). This computer is my "school"-computer, and to log into my schools network I need windows XP installed. So that I have. Windows XP pro is installed upon the single partition my hard disk consists of. Also all of my notes from class, homework, project and such is on this partition so deleting this partition is our of the question. This leaves no partitions to install linux on (!).

After browsing the internet for a looong time looking for tips and advice (and figuring out that apparently no windows-based partition managers seemed to work) i decided to try my luck with a Linux-based partition manager. After browsing the net a little more it seemed that the only choice was using qtParted. I also found out that qtParted was a part of the Red Hat installation (jubii... or so I thought). So I decided to give it a shot.

I booted my laptop from the install disk. All seemed perfectly ok. I opened qtParted. Still no problem. But when the graphical display is finished loading and I click on my harddisk icon in to menu it says:

"Critical error during ped_new_disk!"

Apparently it cannot read the partition table.
    I decided to try my luck with qtParted again this time when it was not part of the Red Hat install. I tried it on the Linux system rescue cd (www.sysresccd.org) and on Knoppix. Neither of them worked, and they gave the same error.
    Then I ran it again on Knoppix through the root shell. This gave me a more exact error:

"Warning: Unable to align partition properly. This probably means that another partitioning tool generated an incorrect partition table, because it didn't have the correct BIOS geometry. It is safe to ignore, but may cause (fixable) problems with some boot loaders.
    Error: Unable to satisfy all constraints on the partition.
    Segmentation fault"

Therefore I really could you some help as to how I devide my hard disk into two partitions without losing the data on the one I have now.

Thanks a lot
    Invidia

If you have access to Partition Magic I would very much recomend you use that over parted (I'm not shure about how vell it deals with NTFS).

Good luck

Linux Newbie
    Hmh. Just a short note.
    I would never recommend partition magic to anyone.
    But that might be 100% due to personal experience.

What I would recommend is defragging first =)
    And, if you use some of Nortons Products, you get the option to put as much as possible in the end OR in the beginning of your harddrive.
    Very handy, as it will probably make partitioning slightly less complicated.

//ooop

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hmm... seems that I found out what the problem was..

It seems that originally my computer was set up with 2 or 3 different partitions. We deleted those when I got the computer, because we figured I wouldn't need them. Apparently Windows (!"%#&) kept one of the partitions and also hid from me.

As I descibed in the post above my harddisk is 40GB's big. My main partition uses this space. The "hidden" partition used 19GB. Alas I used almost 60GB's on a 40GB harddisk. Quite impressive don't you think

Apparently this "hidden" partition was what made qtParted go crazy, since it stopped when I blew the partition to sub-atom particles.

I am now (finally) able to install Linux...

Thx for the imput guys.
    Invidia

Just Joined!
    One thing to remember when using partition magic and tools like that. I have had better success with them if you defrag, and make sure you turn off the swap file in windows before you make any adjustments to the partitions. Then once your adjustments are made you can turn the swap file back on.

We have had to do this where I work with several different types of machines.