Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just bought a brand new toshiba satellite p105-s9337 I have tried F7t4 and Feisty, and the wireless doesnt work. I have spent 2 days so far, and the problem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What brand new laptop works with linux?

I just bought a brand new toshiba satellite p105-s9337 I have tried F7t4 and Feisty, and the wireless doesnt work. I have spent 2 days so far, and the problem is with the kill switch. I havent even begun to tackle the fact I have no sound either.

I am tired of screwing with it, and want to know what new, higher end laptop just works.

Thanks!

It's not a matter of the laptop itself you need to worry about. It's what wireless chipset the computer uses. There are a number of popular wireless chipsets, but only a handful of them work natively in Linux out of the box. Others require the use of wrappers such as NDISWrapper which translate the Microsoft Windows drivers and allow some devices to work.

Do you know which wireless chipset your current Toshiba laptop uses?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    It's not a matter of the laptop itself you need to worry about. It's what wireless chipset the computer uses. There are a number of popular wireless chipsets, but only a handful of them work natively in Linux out of the box. Others require the use of wrappers such as NDISWrapper which translate the Microsoft Windows drivers and allow some devices to work.

Do you know which wireless chipset your current Toshiba laptop uses?
    Yeah, its the seemingly dreaded 3945, which most of the new laptops use in what im seeing. There is no bios option to disable the switch either in my laptop.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Intel ipw3945?

I have never had a problem getting it to work. As a matter of fact, I am using it right now to post this message.

The newest drivers don't seem to have a problem. The older drivers have always worked, but some versions did take some working with.

I don't even have a problem in the new ubuntu getting it to work, it recognizes it on boot.

Let us know the error message, driver version, kernel version, and ipw3945d version.

And yes, mine has the kill switch on the front of the laptop to turn it off.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    I'll reply only if someone laughs out loud at me.

I didnt know the kill switch on my laptop was a real switch. This is my first "real" laptop in several years, and never had to deal with it. Figured this weird switch i keep hearing about was a function key. Its actually on the front of the laptop, a slider thats on, or off. It was on, killing the wireless.

So all this time wasted was because the d**n switch was on. Wireless works now.

Quote Originally Posted by hondaman View Post
    I'll reply only if someone laughs out loud at me.

I didnt know the kill switch on my laptop was a real switch. This is my first "real" laptop in several years, and never had to deal with it. Figured this weird switch i keep hearing about was a function key. Its actually on the front of the laptop, a slider thats on, or off. It was on, killing the wireless.

So all this time wasted was because the d**n switch was on. Wireless works now.
    No laughing here. My girlfriend has a wireless kill switch as well (also a Toshiba Satellite). I wracked my brain for an entire weekend trying to figure out why her wireless wasn't working on Windows XP. Turns out the kill switch was on. It's apparently a common mistake!
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I just finished installing openSuSE on an hp dv6397ea. Everything was detected. I am really pleased. The wireless worked out of the box. My resolution was set automatically. Even the multimedia buttons and the remote control work.
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Just Joined!
    Does anybody has experience with an MSI M675 laptop??? I just ordered one and planing on installing SuSE 10.x. Especially I am interested if the WLAN is working

I have a Sony Vaio (see sig) that runs Ubuntu 7.04 & Beryl beautifully without any major problems.

Linux Newbie

Lightbulb Dell

I know this is late, but Dell offeres a laptop with Ubuntu 7.04 pre installed, wireless, etc. etc. To me this is big news. I haven't seen anything about it on the forum, so am posting this link.. check it out..

Ubuntu Customers

I just ordered the laptop.. I think its great someone is offering a preinstalled Linux version on an OEM. I wish everyone could buy one and send a message to the world.. Start supporting Linux!!!
    Alienware M17
    Dual ATI 3870 512Mb ram each
    intel 5300 wireless
    Ubuntu 8.04

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast