Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi friends, I installed linux my laptop (RHEL4) its not supporting two thinks or i dont know how to configure .my laptap details are here .plz help me. Accr Aspire ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sound card not working

hi friends,

I installed linux my laptop (RHEL4) its not supporting two thinks or i dont know how to configure .my laptap details are here .plz help me.
    Accr Aspire 5003 WLMI .
    1 GB RAM
    problems are.
    1.sound card not working when i play test soud i am getting following errror

"Automatic detection of the sound card did not work. Audio will not be available on the system. Please click OK to continue."

2.Network connection
    " i did all the configuration but while i am pingong i am getting "host is not reachable"
    Anyone help me where i made mistake ,then how solve this issue.
    Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    moorthy.p

What motherboard do you have?

What distribution are you running.

What is your internet connection?

Linux can be frustrating if you don't have a very recent distribution or an internet connection.

Considering you have a new laptop, i would get a very recent distro to install. Fedora 6 is on my laptop and picked up everything fine. Only bought it a month ago. Ubuntu is also apparently pretty good.

Are you trying the dual boot path? or all linux? Do you have access to the internet on a different computer, or the laptop in windows?

Just Joined!
    I'm having a similar issue with my laptop install as well; I have it set up as a dual-boot w/ PCLinuxOS. It'll play sounds, but they're horribly distorted; Ubuntu wouldn't play them at all, at least from the live CD. The soundcard is the built-in Realtek high definition audio on a Toshiba Satellite A105. Setup keeps finding the intel-hda (if I remember correctly) driver for it; I've tried the other drivers, and they either distort also or don't paly sounds at all.

Just Joined!

OS Issue

Hi,

Firstly i would like to tell you Ubunto is not an Complete OS. Its just an OS image. To run Applications like music, Videos, Other servers like FTP, HTTP, Samba, NFS, NIS, DHCP and many more you require an complete OS installed on your Harddisk. You are using CD based OS which will not support these Applications. I request you to pls install an OS first then you need to check the rpm for your Laptop model supporting Audio, Video card then download it and install it.

Thank you