Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does any one have any experience of installing any linux on Toshiba satellite series. As a dual boot or by vmware? Srinivas...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux on Toshiba satellite laptop

Does any one have any experience of installing any linux on Toshiba satellite series.
    As a dual boot or by vmware?

Srinivas

Just Joined!
    I installed PCLinuxOS on my Satellite about 3 weeks ago. I had a hell of a time getting the installer for either PCLOS or Ubuntu Feisty to run; there is a separate partition on there from the factory that has a Toshiba quick launch media player app that for some reason didn't play nice with the partition editor for both distros. The solution was to download a program called GParted (GParted -- Welcome). It runs off a live CD and gives you complete control over how your partitions are set up; it allowed me to shrink my NTFS Windoze 160GB partition to 55 GB to make room for a 55GB ext3 partition for PCLOS and a 44GB partition in Fat32 that I use to share the media files between the two OS's; both Linux and Windows can read-write to Fat, as opposed to NTFS which normally only allows Linux to read and ext3, which Windoze can't do anything with at all.
    I then told PCLOS to install using the existing partitions after the resize and reformatting; it picked up the ext3 partition immediately and recognized it as sda3, which I is where I told the installer to install PCLOS.

also try getting feisty fawn (ubuntu 7.04) and u can shrink and create partitions in the installer.
    cheers

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close