Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just a heads up, linuxforums will be changing servers next week,I will be migrating the site from my current server in London UK to a box in Dallas in Texas ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

LinuxForums - moving servers (August 4th)

Just a heads up, linuxforums will be changing servers next week,I will be migrating the site from my current server in London UK to a box in Dallas in Texas USA. I am having to do this much sooner than i anticipated due to circumstances beyond my control.

Some downtime/slow periods might occur, though the way i've got it planned there should be no "downtime" whatsoever, though there may be a period of 24 hours or so where the site is running a little slower than usual.

At the moment i cannot say for sure what day I will be doing the transfer though it is penciled in as tuesday or wednesday (August 4th - 5th).

Thank you all for your continued support of linuxforums.org

Jason

If you need a temporary housing, I have some webspace that i dont use for anything important, if you wanna keep it there on a temporaty basis, thats fine,. But how large is the site?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

As long as there's no downtime...I can't live without my daily forum fix.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Just out of curiousity, are you moving to "The Planet" data-center? (They house hundreds of different hosting companies.) Their servers are good, and I've been pleased with them in the past.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    If you need a temporary housing, I have some webspace that i dont use for anything important, if you wanna keep it there on a temporaty basis, thats fine,. But how large is the site?
    Thanks for the offer, much appriciated. I prefer to be in control of any server the site is on so i can be sure that it is secure, and also I have about 20 other domains that will be moving so its more than a bit of disk space i need. I will stay with the rented server, thanks for offering anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gstuartj
    Just out of curiousity, are you moving to "The Planet" data-center?
    Yes. Prices were reasonable and they have fairly good reputation.

Jason

Linux Guru
    Just an update on this situation.

The server move is progressing faster than anticipated, the backend database has been migrated across, and the website will be done within the next 72 hours. Until then you may find the site is a little slower than usual but im already looking at a way to improve that.

No more downtime is expected for the duration of this work.

Jason