Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by qub333 in reguardes to those hacks they seem to be working, the 2 slashdotted reviews has kept up the massive traffic load, but I haven't noticed a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    in reguardes to those hacks they seem to be working, the 2 slashdotted reviews has kept up the massive traffic load, but I haven't noticed a slowdown, cept this morning, but I was on a slower connection in general, so it might have been realated to that
    The time we're really going to experience any sort of problem is when were listed as the first, or possibly 2nd article on the slashdot homepage.

To counter this, I've produced a totally optimised copy of article.php (the underlying page of /news/article-[id].html files) which has sorted out part of the problem we had with first /. of some really in-efficient queries tying up mysqld. Im confident to say the queries on the new version are as good as im going to be able to get them.

Now the problem i've got is apache forking loads of new processes suddenly pushes up the load and eats ram like no-tomorrow. I've got some apache testing planned for tomorrow to see if i can tune this a bit more.

Im confident i can get to a stage where we can be featured as the first article on the home page of a popular site like slashdot, and not lose linuxforums.org to the slashdot effect.

Jason

well we didint go down this time and the outgoing load was incredable, so props to ye.

here is a handy guide that I have used to boost performace on Apache, i knew little then, but perhaps it or some of its links will aid in your quest

http://www.crucialparadigm.com/resou...pache-load.php

can i get a wootx2 for Jason?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    well we didint go down this time and the outgoing load was incredable, so props to ye.

can i get a wootx2 for Jason?
    lakerdonalds article didnt feature on the homepage, it was on linux.slashdot.org which typically gets a bit less traffic, so it wasnt much of a problem i dont think. I think it hit us in the morning (GMT) but im not too sure as i was proberly asleep and dont keep a tail -f on the server logs when im sleeping. besides that, the new article.php as only just been finished

w00t! w00t! lol nicely done jason.

congraz on being /.ed agian
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

OHHHH-YEAH!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2