Find the answer to your Linux question:
A big welcome to all of the users who have joined us over the last few months If you havent had a chance to look over our forum rules since ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

duplicate/cross posting - New users please read

A big welcome to all of the users who have joined us over the last few months

If you havent had a chance to look over our forum rules since joining, please take a few moments to do so now.

Specifically, I would like to stress the importance of not "cross posting" (posting the same question in more than one section), as this makes it MUCH harder to assist with troubleshooting. It is also unfair on the people you are asking to help you, as a lot of things will get repeated needlessly.

Lastly, if you are logged in you can search before you post to see if your question has already been answered before, thus allowing you to get your problem solved faster.

Thanks all

Jason

Linux Enthusiast
    I would also like to add a few things.

We are here to help. In general, everyone here is trying to be "good". At least they should be.

It is difficult to help without all the requisite information. Here is a checklist of things you should put in every post that you want a decent answer to:

• Operating System, including distribution.
      Version of the package you are working with.
      What you are trying to accomplish.
      What you have done thusfar.
      Why you stopped, ie. what exact error message are you receiving.
      The exact error message. I can't stress this enough.

You don't have to state that you have searched google, or read the manuals. It is obvious if you have or haven't. It is respectful if you do try your hardest before asking for help, but we understand that it is frustrating and difficult to read and learn, when you would rather it "just work".

That being said, we will continue to do the best we can to help the n00bs, all the way up to the gurus, so long as we can. So long as you are respectful towards us, we will treat you the same.

If you like, I can point you towards good question posts (that obviously get answered, or attempted), and bad question posts, that generally get ignored or asked for further input.

Best,

Samuel
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.