Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have introduced a "help rating system" (aka HelpScore) that allows you to mark as post a being as helpful or not by clicking the Yes or No links in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Site Changes, 7th Febuary 2005

I have introduced a "help rating system" (aka HelpScore) that allows you to mark as post a being as helpful or not by clicking the Yes or No links in the bottom left corner of each post (look to the left of the "Profile", "Email" buttons where it says "Helpful? Yes/No").

The idea of this system is to encourage quality over quantity when posting. If someone answers your question with a really good answer, click the "Yes" button to show your appriciation

This system is still in beta for the next 48 hours, but the following are being worked on now:
    - A page that lists the most helpful members to date
    - Helpfulness ratings will have no effect in "off topic" areas such as the Coffee Lounge

We will eventually use this HelpScore rating as a guide when selecting new Trusted Penguins as well.

Feedback & Comments welcome, this is still in beta so things can be changed as needed.

Jason

I say sounds good Jason, although it seems that there is still the Yes/No button there where you can click it on yourself.

awesome :P

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    awesome

Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

Linux Engineer
    Good idea, however I don't know about the "No" option. Generally, a post either answers someone's question or it doesn't. I can see how someone would give another member a "Yes" rating, but in what case would he or she give a "No" rating?

Take the following example:
    OP: [Question]
    Member 1: [Answer A]
    OP: [A] didn't work.
    Member 2: [Answer B]
    OP: Thanks, [B] worked!

I can see how Member 2 would get a "Yes," but is Member 1 supposed to get a "No," even if the post had relevence to the question and attempted to answer the question? Many people who post questions are not specific enough in their questions, and as a result, get answers that do not work, even though the answers may make perfect sense.

The only time I could see a "No" rating used is in "RTFM" and "you're stupid" answers - and these rarely happen. And even if "RTFM" is an answer, the OP is usually asking for it.

I see a help rating system as useful, but the "No" rating in particular I see as a way for people to screw over peoples' ratings unnecessarily.

Well for people who take the thread off topic, give erroneous responses, or are rude/rtfm then I can really see a no rating.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    Well for people who take the thread off topic, give erroneous responses, or are rude/rtfm then I can really see a no rating.
    What about LF newbies that take the thread off topic? What if the original question is answered, but as a result of it being answered, the OP runs into new problems and has another question that spawns a completely different topic? And I've seen erroneous responses by members who normally give really good advice, but simply misinterpreted the question or something of the like.

I agree that a rude post does warrant a "No," but I've only seen under a dozen or so posts that I'd consider rude since I became a member.

Not that most people would necessarily do this, but let's say I'm 20 "Yes"s away from being #1, and I'm a horribly self-centered individual. All I have to do is click "No" 20 times for the people above me on the help rating list and I'm #1. I don't really think people will exploit the help rating system like I just described, but it only takes one person to mess up everyone else's hard-earned rating.

Well honestly, you have to wonder about having a rating system at all.
    Let's say we have an egotistical member who's 20 posts away from #1. what's to stop them from say creating a new account and "Yes"ing themselves 20 times?

I agree that a rude post does warrant a "No," but I've only seen under a dozen or so posts that I'd consider rude since I became a member.
    We have a group of moderators that work VERY hard to keep it that way, the karma system is much akin to something like Wikipedia, sure, someone could be a doofus and go in, change all the dates and misspell words, delete entries. But at the same time, the number of people who respect the system and use it correctly keep it in balance. Its like Open-Source development on several levels. More or less the spirit of Linux (Should i decide to take this on some lofty level that no one can say no too) but basicaly, thats why were testing it out, should there be major problems, then so be it. But its something the Mod's and TP's have tossed around for a while and have decided might be worth a short trial. There doesn't seem to be that type of competition, and the community has grown to such a size, that it is no longer practical for Jason alone to keep an eye out for possible new TP's.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

It's really a matter of trust among the community as well. This is an Open Source way of modding haha

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast