Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Ermm... Is it OK to save a copy of a page for reference?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Ermm... Is it OK to save a copy of a page for reference?
    Registered Linux user #393668

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpenguin
    Ermm... Is it OK to save a copy of a page for reference?
    If you mean using your browser's "File" -> "Save Page As.." function, yes that is perfectly OK

While we're on site issues, I aven't seen this mentioned so apologies if I've missed a thread - How come all of the recent articles on the home page are stuck? Is this a knock on of the server switch?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    While we're on site issues, I aven't seen this mentioned so apologies if I've missed a thread - How come all of the recent articles on the home page are stuck? Is this a knock on of the server switch?
    yep, fixed now

Thanks,

J.

Cheers dude!

Just Joined!
    Noted and am glad that I haven't done that in about a year to other sites. That area of violation seems really "grey" though imo. At least there was a memo going out about it.

Just Joined!
    Howdy jasonlambert,

It's been donks since iv'e been here. Good to see things are still kicking

I can understand what your getting at. I do know of one popular Linux site that had to shut down earlier this year, then reformate their site, and install a more powerfull server due to flood attacks. But they were actual "attacks" not just a few benign wgets on a thread or two.

jasonlambert wrote:
    It is an automated DOS against my server.
    One individual yesterday sent 20,000 HTTP requests for PHP pages in 1 hour, seriously degrading the performance of this site. Such floods are no different to using a SYN or ICMP flood or any other form of malicious denial of service attack that ties up the resources of my server preventing legitimate traffic getting to the site. Many ISP's state in their terms of service that such activity is not allowed.
    Yes, well ... that is a bit much of course. Can't you just disconnect/drop a connection like that. Even so, it wouldn't stop the packets comming in.

I often use "wget" to extract a thread at times. If it contains a number of pages. By that i mean in the order of 30 to 40 or so...

And if it is a topic that i'm trying to study and so need to spend some time going over.

I have my script set up to allow for a couple of seconds delay between each request ... as per below,

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

for f in $1
     do

wget -v -np -N -x $f 2>&1 |tee -a $LOGFILE

#wget -v -np -N --wait=2 -x -r -l 2 --reject=swf,pdf,ps,wav,Z,jar,zip,deb,rpm,tar,gz,bz2 $f 2>&1 |tee -a $LOGFILE

#wget -v -np -N --wait=2 -r -l 1 --reject=pdf,ps -x $f 2>&1 |tee -a $LOGFILE

#wget -v -np -N --wait=2 -x -r -l 3 --reject=swf,gz,tar,Z,tar.gz,jar,pdf,ps,wav,deb,rpm $f 2>&1 |tee -a $LOGFILE
    done
    The robots.txt is always respected.

In my case, i'm on a limited budget, and a few wgets saves me lots of time/money. But if you consider the above script to much weight for the site i will respect your wishes.

But the 20,000 page request you mention is something in a completely different context really. I mean --- that is obviously an abuse by someone.

Pity -=-=-

Iv'e never had any complaint feed back in the past.

jm[/quote]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2