Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
I'm just not quite sure I get the reasoning behind the English-only signature?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I'm just not quite sure I get the reasoning behind the English-only signature?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    I'm just not quite sure I get the reasoning behind the English-only signature?
    With signatures in so many different languages there is no way we can know what each one is saying. To paraphrase what one of the TP's said, for all we know, the signature could be saying "nice site but you are still infadell's". Possibly that's an extreme, but you get the idea.

I could honestly care less what somebody's signature contains (one of the signatures basically says "lakerdonald is an *******"). It's apparent the majority of the TPs and Mods don't take this stance, but so what if it says "Nice site but you guys are all infidels"? Just my two cents (guess that's why I'm not a mod [well that and the flaming] )

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    What about the height of all annoyingness - leet speak I personally find that worse than spelling Microsoft with a dollar sign.

I don't think anyone over the age of 12 would be sorry to see that go

Compare for yourself:

1) 1337 h4xx0rz
    2) Micro$oft
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

They usually seem to come together though...
    Micro$$$oft quickly becomes M1cr0$$$hi7, j0.

Quote Originally Posted by GNU_man
    What about the height of all annoyingness - leet speak I personally find that worse than spelling Microsoft with a dollar sign.

I don't think anyone over the age of 12 would be sorry to see that go

Compare for yourself:

1) 1337 h4xx0rz
    2) Micro$oft
    Please dont post in l33tspeek
    http://www.linuxforums.org/rules.php
    :P
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Since when to the new comers to the forums read the rules though?

Just Joined!
    I don't think any one really gives a hoot what some one's signature says, as long as its short I don't care if it says "fuxx0rz D@4kb@<kw3rdz", I'd care even less if it was in another language, I have an account on another message board with the sig in Irish. The other rules, the ones about negativity are fine, just so long as you don't go Benito Mousellini over it.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    Since when to the new comers to the forums read the rules though?
    but they are there and them being there we as the few that moderate this site can point ot the rules when they are broken.
    personly i never read the rules til i became a TP though i did know common etiquet for the most part and if if seemed boarderline i either rephrased, explained in more depth as not to offend and thus stay netral for the most part, or simply didnt say it! there was always a PM to a mod/administrator to take care of the offender....that was the past now we simply use the
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Engineer
    I personaly dont care what peoples signatures say, as long as its not a big flashing gif or somthing visualy distracting i really dont care. I also dont care is somone calls microsoft "micro$oft winblows" or anything else.. Freedom of expression is more important than trying not to annoy some large corporation or possible future advertising partner. So, I dont really agree with this kind of censorship but it doesnt really affect me right now so.. so be it.

What is decided by the owners of the site is fine by me though and as long as its still usfull then I will still use linuxforums.

:)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast