Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Originally Posted by budman7 ...And I will never understad the necessity for leetspeak. It is actually harder to type than normal words. Testify!!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    ...And I will never understad the necessity for leetspeak.
    It is actually harder to type than normal words.

Testify!!

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    Maybe asking users to do a minimum of research, or make a motivated start post could also help (as part of the overall policy then?). I'm a member of tweakers.net, a Dutch forum that works like that, and I must say, it helps, and it cuts a lot of crap sometimes...
    User's are always encouraged to search before posting we also have an asking good questions post in the Linux Newbie section.
    I had a look over on tweakers.net, the policy you're talking about, is it the one on this page? or is there an extended one somewhere else?

When it comes to the signatures: will an original quote + translation do? I like my Italian signature too much to wipe it honestly...
    We did discuss translations, the end result was we did have some concerns about what a non-signature said, if we are unable to read it.. and for the same reason we have English only topics, we ultimatly decided to go with a policy of English only signatures as well. I am aware that several people, yourself included, already have non-English signatures, I am sorry for any inconvienence this may cause.
    Too bad... i'll update my sig then. Anyway, the link you're referring to is the network troubleshooting guide - This is the one (although every subforum has its subpolicy which has to be respected also...): http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/faq/policy

And for the M$ crap: I agree entirely... I can understand one is excited about Linux (as I am ), but that doesn't mean you should pick on MS. I still use Windows for some things (gaming), and I think MS makes good software (although ethically not as correct as the OSS is). Picking on MS doesn't make you a better Linux user. Tolerancy is a must.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    Too bad... i'll update my sig then.
    Well, I will thank you for updating, I didn't know that is what it meant. The version I always heard was attributed to Denis Diderot and substituted priest for pope.
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Linux Newbie
    I will certainly be sure to spell Microsoft correctly.

I sure don't want Bill Gates after me!

Jeff
    Registered Linux User #391940

I am also in favour of the changes - Can I make a point?

Should there also be rules about posting threads which are obviously sexist? Sometimes 'jokes' appear as threads which are negative towards women. As a slightly older man, I find this both offensive and pointless.

Some of the men on here are married. Do they want to read threads which portray women as stereotypes: '*****y', 'nags' ... etc. etc? I know what you're thinking, 'Why not...?'

I want to see more women posting to this forum, simply because I dislike 'single gender' clubs or cliques. Sexism is also negative.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Seriosly? Do I have to change my signature?
    I've always used this signature... Latin is international so everybody should with no problem understand it, right?
    The quote of Louis XI isn't as good if you change the language it's written in...

Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    I'm just not quite sure I get the reasoning behind the English-only signature?
    Hmmm, I think that part is a little extreme. I understand Jasons' reasons, but obviously a 'Divide and Rule' quote in Latin isn't going to do much harm - unless you worry about dead languages.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    I'm just not quite sure I get the reasoning behind the English-only signature?
    Hmmm, I think that part is a little extreme. I understand Jasons' reasons, but obviously a 'Divide and Rule' quote in Latin isn't going to do much harm - unless you worry about dead languages.
    The way I see it, if you ban one language other than English you have to ban them all to be fair. It wouldn't very well be kosher to say "You may not have languages other than English in your signature, except Latin." I support what Jason decided.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

since im still a newbie and ive read the rules i fully understand and accepet these new rules.

Again, with the engish signature one, if you make an exception for one language then your going to have make an exception to more of them, which in this case that the moderators and admins dont want to do. Obviously they were carefully to consider this rule, but the decision is to be made and it cant be changed at all.

Also I never have really bad mouthed microsoft anyway, as i still use Microsoft applications on windows to do my studies on, i use linux for general purpose, for command line tools and experimentation, so i usually tend to stay away from topics such as which is better microsoft or linux? As i can argue the good and the bad and the cursed in just about both the operating system...if given the chance. lol

regards
    mullet

Just Joined!
    Since when to the new comers to the forums read the rules though?
    Hey don´t go picking on the new guys ....
    I´m a newcomer and I read the rules so back off ... ... bully ...

Anyway, I agree with the rules, except maybe the ¨all signatures in English¨ thing. I wouldn´t really mind a signature with a readable encoding and a translation in English. I have been using Microsoft stuff since 1990 and I have found it is not really that bad, if you learn to deal with it but can I use ¨MS¨ instead of the whole name. I hope it is not considered misspelled but just shortened. And I couldn´t agree more with the ¨no leetspeak". It has always annoyed me ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast