Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted by krassi Originally Posted by lakerdonald Since when to the new comers to the forums read the rules though? Hey donīt go picking on the new guys .... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by krassi
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    Since when to the new comers to the forums read the rules though?
    Hey donīt go picking on the new guys ....
    Iīm a newcomer and I read the rules so back off ... ... bully ...
    So did I, when I was new. That makes 2 of us.

Linux Newbie
    Today I read the rules for the first time. They seem very democratic to me And I don't like the idea of spelling MS with $ sign. At least because I've never seen windows user on windows forums making such distortion in spelling Linux, Unix and etc...? So why do we, linux users have to show our geekness, and demonstrate our angry or hate? We should stay cool

On the other hand, we know what we like, and we know what we don't like, so one can say that windows sucks and linux rules, of course if he/she has reasons to say that and can prove it on facts. This should not be threatened as "negative post". For example: you can't say that benchmark results, displaying windows suckness in comparison with linux rulesness are "negative posts". Because these are facts. And the one who posts such facts has the rights to say good or bad words in the manner he used too From this point of view I'm not quite agree with posts negativity criteria on forum. This is very sensitive area, and mods should be very carefull before qualifying thread as "negative".

Quote Originally Posted by RustamB
    For example: you can't say that benchmark results, displaying windows suckness in comparison with linux rulesness are "negative posts". Because these are facts.
    No. Microsoft has already proven with many sponsored studies that "facts" are relative in that arena. What one study quotes as fact another refutes. I stand by my modding decisions. I am not the site administrator, but if I were I would go one step further in banning any and all Microsoft-related discussion, since IMO it never results in a thoughtful exchange of ideas and has very little if anything to do with what I see as the purpose of this forum: to help people use Linux.

But perhaps it's a good thing I'm not administrator. I have been known to jump to conclusions.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by RustamB
    On the other hand, we know what we like, and we know what we don't like, so one can say that windows sucks and linux rules, of course if he/she has reasons to say that and can prove it on facts. This should not be threatened as "negative post". For example: you can't say that benchmark results, displaying windows suckness in comparison with linux rulesness are "negative posts". Because these are facts. And the one who posts such facts has the rights to say good or bad words in the manner he used too From this point of view I'm not quite agree with posts negativity criteria on forum. This is very sensitive area, and mods should be very carefull before qualifying thread as "negative".
    Generally speaking threads started by new users or users with a bad history here are much more likely to be locked than a similar thread started by a member that's been here 2 years and has a good reputation. "oh no, new users are being victimised blah blah blah" (or similar) I hear someone about to say..

The fact is new users posting anti-microsoft crap as their first post are proberly trolling anyway (or are trying to seek acceptance, but going the wrong way about it). Some threads just reek of pointless lets bash Microsoft because I'm bored and i think it will make me popular content (often dotted with [M$|sucks|winblows|window$] usually a combination), and deserve to be locked because they are just totally a waste of bandwidth/disk space/time/energy, highly likely to need close moderator supervision, and are irritating for anyone above 12 years of age, especially once you have been on the forums a while and seen the same thing over and over.

Just imagine you found a forum via a search engine, you had a look around at some of the threads on the forum, and it was full of troll xyz sucks posts. I mean, really bad. Would you think, "hey, this is a really nice place, I want to join", or would you think "ugh, this forum is horrible, it's full of trolls and is unwelcoming" ?

I can understand you may not have been here long before the rule was introduced but it was beginning to look like a kids playground with all the foo-bashing threads going on. I for one think the forums are a better place now and have no regrets about implementing the rule. In fact, i wish we had done it sooner.

EDIT:
    actually, I'll give you a good example from the last 24 hours. this thread locked, while this thread makes a good point in an adult manner. See the difference?

The new rules have certainly brought a nicer feel to the forums, closer to the way it felt when I first joined. It really did feel like things ramped up with more rubbish over those last few months, but now that the rules are clear on these things we can all get on with constructive posting.

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't care for the "this vs. that" debates, either. Let them all go to one of the websites that promote those types of discussion.

Linux Newbie
    Oops,
    in just a few days I have already broken the rules?
    Didn't know about M$oft thingie, sorry about that.
    I presume, the same applies to LinSux?
    I'm so used to it Will try to avoid it in the future, I promise.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5