Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi Guys, Sorry for the downtime and the server lag at the moment, but both servers are MAXED OUT, the traffic is becoming crazy and going out of control, we ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Downtime!

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the downtime and the server lag at the moment, but both servers are MAXED OUT, the traffic is becoming crazy and going out of control, we just ordered yet another server, the site will be running on 3 servers now, meaning we should see a lot of improvement in the performance on the site.

There are also people working on optimizing the database of the site, speaking of which is rather huge... Let's hope all this will get us back into a normal state or even more, making the site really fast.

And just to give you an idea of how much traffic was going on, there were 40,000 People on the main site at the same time, trying to reach this one article that has been recently posted. We have never experienced such a load.

Anyway, it's doing great, and this is a very good indication that the site is really growing very fast!
    And just to pull everyone's curiosity, we are working on this new really useful features to ALL Linux users, which should be out very soon...

Enjoy the site!
    Mark.

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks for the update, CW!

I was just getting ready to post another one of those "the site is lagging again" posts.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by Core Wizard
    Sorry for the downtime and the server lag at the moment,
    I sure did notice!

Quote Originally Posted by Core Wizard
    And just to pull everyone's curiosity, we are working on this new really useful features to ALL Linux users, which should be out very soon...
    Sincerely, I think you are doing an excellent job, Core Wizard.

Many thanks to you!
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Server lag? I think I missed it again.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Linux Enthusiast
    40,000 visits to one article, that's crazy!

You got Digged on the GNU/Linux Server article.

God bless the Digg effect, eh?

oz
    forum.guy
    The site was down yesterday for me most of the day. Only able to get back in again as of this morning.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    The site was down yesterday for me most of the day. Only able to get back in again as of this morning.
    Same for me.

Is this third server up and running already?

Appart from that, the site/forum is much faster then it used to be. Great job on that!
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux User
    Yes, the site was down for everyone. We had a sudden crash on the primary server. Even though the site was running on 3 servers, it was not able to cope with the traffic the site was getting, causing the primary server to crash.
    I was in Germany yesterday and did not have any facility of connecting to the internet, and only figured out that the server was down untill today morning (atleast my morning), and then we started fixing it. There were many problems with the server as if there was a DDoS attack, except that after checking the logs, it was not a DDoS attack, it was real people...
    I'm amazed in which speed the site is growing, but at the same time worried whether this will happen again or not.
    We are taking into consideration hiring a company that will look after the servers 24/7, and make sure nothing happens to them, for example what hapenned yesterday...

That's about it for now, I will update you with more information as soon as I get some.

Mark.

/.'d again?
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast