Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
" We are pleased to announce that we have launched a brand new section on Linux Forums, the Linux Downloads Directory , find out more about it here . " ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Linux Downloads Directory

"We are pleased to announce that we have launched a brand new section on Linux Forums, the Linux Downloads Directory, find out more about it here."

Ok, so tell us what you think!
    Mark.

PS. Read the about page for the Directory to know more about its features, and start adding applications!
    Last edited by Core Wizard; 06-11-2006 at 01:52 PM.

How do I format text in the long description? It doesn't autoformat nor accept html, such as <br />.

I really like this idea.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Darl
    How do I format text in the long description? It doesn't autoformat nor accept html, such as <br />.

I really like this idea.
    Bug. Working on it...
    I'm glad you like it, start submitting!!

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Wizard
    Bug. Working on it...
    I'm glad you like it, start submitting!!
    I have been receiving a lot of Private Messages asking me about Watch Lists, asking me that if there is a new update on the source site, how will it be reflected on the Directory, and if it is not submitted very soon, there will be a lag from the actual time of releasing the new version to the time when the watch lists are sent out.
    Well, I have to say that this is a Community driven directory, if the community does not keep it up to date, the community will suffer the lag. There is acutally not much we can do about this, but hopefully, in the near future, a lot of people will be working on the site to keep it up to date, especially when we have on the Directory about 1700 trusted users, all of which have more than 50 posts on the forums, and they are all able to send out watch lists without approval!

Mark.

Perhaps several people will be working on it in the future, but if one day things don't work so smoothly perhaps you might consider implementing something like OPD, the Open Directory Project. People volunteer to maintain a category. When they want to stop handling a category they mention that they're retiring so it's known a category is not maintained.

It's a very linux approach too, many people each maintaining their package.
    There's some sway in how you choose people to volunteer their work too -for instance, should they simply update the entry when new versions come out, or should they actively seek out new entries. I think the ODP does both.

Anyways, just some txt for thought.

I would just like to make a minor suggestion. Implement some form of button so those of us who submit programs can click on something which will show the packages we have submitted. Sort of the like the "subscribed threads" button for the forums. That way if we know a new version has come out or are just bored enough to look at our submitted list we can have a nice concise easy to find list of what we have submitted so we can try to maintain those packages for the forum community.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    Darl said:

"How do I format text in the long description? It doesn't autoformat nor accept html, such as <br />."

I just modifed the description display such that it will translate newlines in the text area to HTML line breaks. We want to keep the formatting as simple as possible but you now can at least add line breaks with <enter>.

spencerf said:
    "Implement some form of button so those of us who submit programs can click on something which will show the packages we have submitted."

I just added "added by" and "updated by" to the search dialog so you can search on your username to get a listing of what you have added or updated.

Jason

I just added "added by" and "updated by" to the search dialog so you can search on your username to get a listing of what you have added or updated.

Jason
    Thanks jason that's just what I was looking for
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    Thanks jason that's just what I was looking for
    No problem. I will be keeping an eye on this thread for any other suggestions or bug reports.

Jason

Just Joined!

Links Color & Resolution

1. Links Color: This is a minor issue but I find it a bit confusing. Blue is used not only for links and although there are different shadows of blue for links and for other text, I get confused where to click. I know that it is acceptable to have links exactly the same color, font, etc. as normal text but maybe if they are underlined (which is also a standard practice) they will be easier to distinguish.

2. On a 1024 x 768 screen, which is currently the most widespread, there is a horizontal scroll bar on almost all screens and the rightmost column (the ads) is partially hidden. Not that readers are dying to see the ads, but ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast