Find the answer to your Linux question:
I did an installation on a second pc. I had such a headache installing JAVA after I ran all the updates. Many threads point to this download site. Which I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to install JAVA in FC3.

I did an installation on a second pc. I had such a headache installing JAVA after I ran all the updates. Many threads point to this download site. Which I think is incorrect. The real download is here. You need to go to the LINUX RPM (self-stracting file) and click on the YELOW download button to begin your donwload.

Once you download is done open the terminal and become root and type:
    Code:
     sh j2re-1_4_2_06-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    Press ENTER untill you get to the license agreement and you will be prompted to type yes or no, type "yes". Here is the example:
    For inquiries please contact: Sun Microsystems, Inc., 4150
    Network Circle, Santa Clara, California 95054, U.S.A.
    (LFI#141496/Form ID#011801)

Do you agree to the above license terms? [yes or no]
    You will get this result:
    Unpacking...
    Checksumming...
    Extracting...
    UnZipSFX 5.40 of 28 November 1998, by Info-ZIP (Zip-Bugs@lists.wku.edu).
    inflating: j2re-1_4_2_06-linux-i586.rpm
    Done.

And from here all you do is install the rpm:
    Code:
    rpm -ivh j2re-1_4_2_06-linux-i586.rpm
    AND you are done. You can check here to see if you JAVA works. You can also follow this how to from fedoranews.org That is where I found the incorrect links. And to be honest I did not do any extra tweaks to make it work.

UPDATED: I did not have to create the link for java but just in case this is how you do it:
    Code:
     su -
    ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_06/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    Intended for newbies. Enjoy.

Linux Engineer
    Very well documented mate!
    I already had it installed but you've explained in detail thumbs up!
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!

JAVA in FC3 issues

I am trying to get DVArchive to work in FC3. A prerequisite is Java. I followed the instructions that imdeemvp provided (thanks, BTW) but I am getting an error when I run DVArchive. To ensure that Java is installed correctly, I visited the link you provided and when I do, my browser crashes. What can I do? I am pretty new to all this so if I should be posting in another forum, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close