Find the answer to your Linux question:
NOTE : if you read the tutorial and are still experiencing difficulties and would like help, you are asked to start a new topic on the forums . Please do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Uninstalling Linux

NOTE: if you read the tutorial and are still experiencing difficulties and would like help, you are asked to start a new topic on the forums.
    Please do NOT reply to this thread to ask a technical question. Replies to THIS thread should be corrections and enhancements on the tutorial/howto only.
    Thanks in advance for your co-operation.
    LinuxForums.org

------------------------------------------

Hi,

In this HOW-TO i'm going to try to explain how to uninstall linux without messing up your windows partition. I feel this is a area that isn't really touched upon that much and most newbies need help with it. I know when I was a noob I didn't like linux because I hadn't knew how to uninstall it. But now I feel I know enough to write a tutorial on how to do it and explain the steps.

1. Removing Your Disto

The easiest way uninstall linux is probably from a Windows XP CD. Once you boot from the CD follow the instructions until you get to the part where you see all the partitions on your hard drive. You must delete all your linux partitions. The primary partitions you'll probably see are

linux ext3, linux ext2, linux swap.

You should delete all these partitions to remove your distro.

2. Fixing your Master Boot Record

Most people know how to uninstall their distro. But afterwards their presented with a black screen and grub asking for input

grub>

or something similar to that. This is were I got totally confused when I was first starting linux. I had no idea what to do so I just re-installed my distro, which actually fixed the problem but I wanted linux totally gone. Enough about me let's get back uninstalling linux. Boot off the Windows XP CD and after windows loads type r to get to the Recovery Console. Once you in the the Recovery Console you'll probably be prompted to type the administrator user name and password. I ususally just put admin as the user name and nothing as the password and it usually works. But that is just my settings your might be different, but usually admin and no password works fine . Now were in recovery console all we have to do is type:

fixmbr

this command will re-write the Master Boot Record, therefore removing Grub.

3. Finished

Now just type shutdown -r this will restart the computer. Remove the Windows XP CD. Now when the computer starts you should be greeted with the all familiar Windows Startup Screen.

Happy Sailing!!!!!!

Just Joined!
    I have a dual boot ststem with WinXP and Suse 9.1. I have found that my linuxpartitions are too small and therfor I would like to remove Linux, shrink the windowpartition and re-install inux again. (I know I could change the partitions right now, but then I couldn't set them up exactly as I wanted, so I want it from schratch with only windows in the computer.)

I tried to follow the example above, but my Windows CD wich came with my laptop seem to be made for restoring-only, when i boot from the CD i am presented with a graphical inteface where I can chose to either make a complete reinstall, a reinstall with my personal files left, or DOS prompt. I've tried the last two options. When start DOS-prompt and type "fixmbr" it says: "Bad command or file name."
    When I chose "restore without changing personal files" it whows an error message saying something like "could not change OS"

Anyway my question is: Does my CD lack the Recovery Console or am I doing something wrong?
    Is there any other way to use the FIXMBR command (Like from a Floppy or directly in windows?)

Help help help...please

Linux Newbie
    don't worry about the mbr currently. it will be rewritten when you re-install linux. only if you want to permanently get rid of linux, which i would suggest against, would i worry about rewritting the mbr with windows.

just use your normal boot up technique into windows xp, and use a program like partition magic. first just defrag the partition, then resize. sorry, i don't know of any other program that can resize an ntfs partition safely, assuming that is what you have. then just boot up on your suse cd and install normally.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    So is it possible to delete the Linux partitions in PartitionMagick, then rezise Windows, then re-install Suse, without ever touch the MBR?
    Will GRUB work to start Windows, even if I have deleted the Linux partitions? (GRUB is at MBR)

Just Joined!
    When I run PartitionMagic and change my NTFS-partition from 14 to 12 GB it gives this error message at the "blue screen": Coudn't lock disk. Error 27

What is that?
    The computer reboots and changes nothing.

Linux Newbie
    yes, it is possible to do that. in fact, i have done it many times, but its been a while and not with ntfs. but i don't know anymore for you since linux has been deleted.

if you still get a grub prompt when you boot up you can type in 'grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)' then 'grub> chainloader +1' at the cli prompt when it first comes up to get windows. assuming windows is on the first partition of hda.

if i remember correctly, you can also boot up using the partition magic cd. but i don't know if you can change partitions from this.

as for the error message, i don't know. but, i would just try changing less at a time. like deleting linux, and when that is done. then try to resize the windows partition. sometimes wierd things like that work.

Just Joined!

Removing Suse

Hey people i need help taking Suse off my computer ok i had suse, adn then i formated my hard drive to put windows XP back on to it but the thing is now it wont let me put windows XP back on, the installation goes great for xp but when it has to reboot to finish it says ( Eorror Loading Operating System) HELP ME PLEASE

Just Joined!

how do u do this with win98 and no win98 cd

Can I fix the mbr with a win98 boot floppy? Or what do I do

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by At the top of this page i
    NOTE: if you read the tutorial and are still experiencing difficulties and would like help, you are asked to start a new topic on the forums.
    Please do NOT reply to this thread to ask a technical question. Replies to THIS thread should be corrections and enhancements on the tutorial/howto only.
    Thanks in advance for your co-operation.
    LinuxForums.org
    Thanks!