Sucess: Motorola SM56 PCI Speakerphone Modem In Fedora 1
This is how i made my sm56 pci speakerphone modem work under Fedora core 1.
Warning: U should verify what i am suggesting.Please. I am not a professional linux expert.
What u require:
1. Kernel 2.4.18-14 source from
(I haven't tested redhat 9.0's kernel !!!. Also kernel-2.4.22 won't work. If u are using download managers, message that site
refuses connection might come.Keep on retrying. I used Opera web browser to get to the location
and download accelerator plus to download the 28 MB file. In Internet explorer you are asked
username and password. Try with 'anonymous' and passwd as your email ID. )
2. gcc-2.96-98.i386.rpm and cpp-2.96.98.i386.rpm from
3. binutils-22.214.171.124.2-2.i386.rpm from
4. motorola driver sm56-gcc3.tar.gz from www.sm56.tk download section.
Now, u have to remove your gcc, cpp, gcc-objc, gcc-c++, binutils from Fedora core 1 installation.
Use rpm -e --nodeps *.rpm (recheck it !!!)
5. install gcc-2.96-98.i386.rpm, cpp-2.96.98.i386.rpm and binutils-126.96.36.199.2-2.i386.rpm
use rpm -ivh --force *.rpm (recheck it !!!) if required in case of conflicts.
6. Install the source kernel-source-2.4.18-14.i386.rpm. It will be installed in ur /usr/src/ path.
7. If you have previously installed kernel-2.4.18-14, make sure u remove the source folder,also
/lib/modules/linux-2.4.18-14 and related files in /boot .
8. Move to /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14
now to compile the kernel:
1. make mrproper
2. make xconfig (be sure install the x development pkg from 'add and remove packages')
3. choose the option 'load configuration file' from the X menu. Type /boot/config-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
4. now choose menu 'loadable module support' and select y in it.
5. choose 'network device support' and chose y in network device support option and also make
ppp related options below it as y or m (preferebly m)
6. I had also disabled the kernel debugging option from menu of kernel hacking.
7. save an exit.
8. do 'make dep' then later 'make modules' then 'make modules_install' (no erro messages should come)
and finally 'make install'. I had got error message at the end step. My initrd.img file for this
kernel was not created, so i did 'mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-14custom.img 2.4.18-14custom'
9. Make sure u have vmlinuz, system-map, initrd corresponding to this kernel in /boot .
9. Boot with ur new kernel. Using bootdisk may not be possible as vmlinuz may be big. So use
loadlin by copying the vmlinuz-2.4.18-14custom file to a floppy or dos drive. Or configure grub.
10. While booting u might get unresolved dependencies message for modules. I did 'depmod -a'
and deleted the modules listed (if any).
11. Now untar the sm56-gcc3.tar.gz using 'tar -xvzf sm56-gcc3.tar.gz'. Go to the folder sm56-gcc3.
12. Open the Makefile with an editor. Go to a line like '......./usr/src/linux-2.4/include......' and
convert it to '......./usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/include......'. Do a 'make' from shell when in this
directory. Then 'make install'. Choose any country code .
13. Open kppp. Set the device at /dev/modem. Then 'Query for modem'. You should get a dialog box
filled with values.
14. From main kppp menu give dialup information and dial.
If you encounter any problems, send it to me at email@example.com. I am a normal Linux user.
not an expert.
I uploaded this page from my modem connected by above method. Thanks to www.sm56.tk and all people
who care to tell others how they get things to work.
Re: SUCESS: MOTOROLA SM56 PCI SPEAKERPHONE MODEM IN FEDORA 1
I went through all of the steps tux21 wrote. Everything is fine, 2.4.18 kernel has been recompiled, driver has been installed and modem responds, but after dialing up to my internet provider i get NO CARRIER. Has anyone got stuck with such problem?