Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have the same problem, and I tried all the methods you mentioned, but nothing works... The Read-Only option is not checked, the umask=022 doesn't change anything, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NTFS problem.

Hi all,

I have the same problem, and I tried all the methods you mentioned, but nothing works...
    The Read-Only option is not checked, the umask=022 doesn't change anything, and the
    mount -t ntfs - o

doesn't change anything either... An other idea???

Hi and Welcome !

Could you explain your problem a bit more? Which version of RedHat/Fedora do you have?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi and thanks for your interest in my question.

sorry, it's not fedora, I didn't get that this discussion was only for fedora. I'm on Mandriva 2007. I mounted an NTFS partition with the data I was using with windows. I mounted it under /mnt/windows.
    I can read the files on it, but I cannot modify them. So I tried to change the permissions with a chmod, but I get an error message like "impossible to change permissions since it is read only".

I unmounted it, then mounted it again with the line

mount -t ntfs -o /dev/sda3 /mnt/windows

But no change, still the read only problem. The strange thing is that when I look into the properties of this partition, the read-only case is not checked.

I tried the other suggestion posted here, that is, write a umask=022 in the fstab file, but no change...

I'm new to linux, so, I'm afraid my explanations are not clear...
    Anyway, any suggestion would be welcome! Linux is exciting but difficult to handle at fist...

Smile

Hey,
    You have to pass rw option for mount command as below:-
    mount -t ntfs -o rw /dev/sda3 /mnt/windows
    Regards,

who |grep -i blonde |
    date; cd~; unzip; touch;
    strip; finger; mount; gasp;
    yes; uptime; umount;
    sleep

Newbie clicks
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html

AFAIK, ntfs doesn't support write access. You have to install ntfs-3g package for enabling write access in NTFS partitions. Replace ntfs with ntfs-3g in mount command after installing ntfs-3g package.

Code:
     mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda3 /mnt/windows -o defaults,umask=0

* Moving this thread to Mandriva Linux Help Forum.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

NTFS problem

I tried to install ntfs-3g. This required to install FUSE. I tried to install it, but an error message relative to some file not found in the kernel source stopped me. Actually, the kernel source file were not where they should be, so I tried to build the latest kernel through some tutorials.

Unfortunately, the building of the initrd file aborted, due to an at_piix not installed, or not there, I don't remember exactly.

At that point, I found out that with FAT32 file system there would be no problems, so I simply formatted my data partition to FAT. And it works fine...

This kernel story is annoying, because I also couldn't install VMware server due to some kernel source file not found. Any idea about why the initrd file could not be made?

thanks for your help and sorry to be so ignorant about linux!

Hey,
    Can you post the exact errors you get while making initrd and installing Vmware.
    If Vmware throws some lacking dependencies while installing, search them and try to install those.
    Regards,

who |grep -i blonde |
    date; cd~; unzip; touch;
    strip; finger; mount; gasp;
    yes; uptime; umount;
    sleep

Newbie clicks
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html