Find the answer to your Linux question:
is there anybody who has managed to use their cellphone as a modem via bluetooth on this distro...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

bluetooth modem

is there anybody who has managed to use their cellphone as a modem via bluetooth on this distro

Linux Enthusiast
    I have managed to set up a cellphone as a modem using bluetooth, I don't remember which distribution I was using at the time but all the setup was command line stuff so should be very cross platform. I used it as a normal com port rather than set up gprs, but it was fairly simple.

Are you having problems or was this just a social inquiry?

If you are having problems, then let us know and we should be able to help you out.

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

well thanx i've used it on opensuse 10.1 but i'm having a problem on mandriva spring 2007 i used exactly the same method i used on suse but kppp just seems to hang when i try query the modem i tried wring a chat-gprs script placed itn in /etc/ppp/peers something like that that one didnt even communicate with the one phone i tried another phone but it kept trying to connect to no avail
    i tried mcc setup connection bluetooth apn internet still no luck that just keeps connecting so i was wondering if there is anyone who has managed to get a bluetooth modem working on this distro any help will be truly appreciated thanx mate

Linux Enthusiast
    Without knowing what the actual error is we'll have trouble helping you. To find out what is going on let's work from the ground up.

Plug in your bluetooth adapter if that's what you're using, turn on bluetooth on the phone and set it to be visible to everyone.

Code:
    hcitool scan
    hcitool inq
    This should return details of your phone.

Code:
    cat /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf
    rfcomm
    By this time something should have failed with a hopefully useful error mesage. Otherwise your phone appears to be connected to your PC just fine and we can move on.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Did you try wvdial? I have used both kppp and wvdial for around 6 months. I had only Bluetooth GPRS connection those days.
    Install wvdial ( I think its pre-installed in most distros. ) Execute wvdialconf in Terminal. It will generate /etc/wvdial.conf file.
    Code:
    wvdialconf
    Edit wvdial.conf file to add your connection details.

These are contents of my wvdial.conf file. [ Nokia 6600, Bluetooth, Airtel GPRS in India. ]
    Code:
    [Dialer Defaults]
    Modem = /dev/rfcomm0
    Baud = 115200
    Init1 = ATZ
    Dial Command = ATD
    Phone = *99***1# 
    Username = " "
    Password = " "
    New PPPD = yes
    Bind Cell with /dev/rfcomm0 using rfcomm command and execute wvdial.

Code:
    rfcomm release all
    rfcomm bind rfcomm0 <cell_address> 1
    wvdial
    Press Ctrl+C to terminate connection.
    Last edited by devils casper; 08-12-2007 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typo
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

ok first the error i was getting with kppp query modem after rfcomm connect was modem busy no even thogh the phone was connected to /dev/rfcomm0 when i tried i different phone kppp would just hang on query modem had to force quit

to devils casper thanx i am currently using wvdial connecting with the cable lucky for me wvdial conf deetected my phone as a modem i was just wondering the username and password part what happens if you dont know the username and password i kept getting an error no valid user or password and i performed a lucky guess then got it o work but i'd just like to know for future use thanx

Airtel didn't give me any Username and Password. I used blank values for both.
    Code:
    Username = " "
    Password = " "
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    Airtel didn't give me any Username and Password. I used blank values for both.
    Code:
    Username = " "
    Password = " "
    o ok thanx mate