Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok i have 2 external hard drives on is a fat32 which works i can read and write and all of that but the other is a hsfplus and i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

change permissions in gui

ok i have 2 external hard drives on is a fat32 which works i can read and write and all of that but the other is a hsfplus and i can't change the permissions to it so that i can write to it

what do i do to change the permissions without loosing an data

thanks

Well log in as root right click on drive go to properties then permissions and you can try change from there good luck but you might hav to edit your fstab i'm not sure how to do it on mandriva

Just Joined!
    Are the volumes mounted on boot? In that case you can edit the fstab file (located in /etc/fstab) to set the permissions to you users when the system boots.

If the volumes are not mounted on boot you will have to change the permissions manually. Open a terminal (or konsole) and type "su". You then have to write the root users password. Once you have done this you can change the permissions.

Type in "chmod 777 /mnt/your_volume_name", then all users will be able to read, write and execute files and directories. You should change the permissions so that just you user can do these actions.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close