Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm encountering strange freezing cases with my PC. I'm currently using Mandriva 2007, but the same thing have happened to me with Kubuntu Edgy too: I'm online via wireless connection, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy Sudden death

I'm encountering strange freezing cases with my PC. I'm currently using Mandriva 2007, but the same thing have happened to me with Kubuntu Edgy too:
    I'm online via wireless connection, and suddenly KDE crashes, the Task Bar Panel goes away and the background blackens. When I'm trying to restart the KDE with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace I got a black screen with "localhost login:" command line but there is no use of trying su, root, or any other commands. Then when I restart the system with the red button, the system would not boot up stopping at the message
    "Verifying the DMI setup...." or similar. So I have to switch off the computer and to start it again. Is there a problem with my hard devices, or somebody locks my computer (since I don't use any firewalls) ? How could I check it ?
    BTW: I'm using Opera as a web browser, could it be the source of problems?
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

You could be experiencing a hard drive failure, but then again it could be something completly different. Are there any error msgs in /var/log/messages? Try using dmesg to see if there are any errors there too
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Are you using metissa i seem to hav a problem when i use metissa but after i disable it everything is fine

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close