Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
So, the only OS that I have on my system right now is Mandriva spring 2007 and I want to be able to have a windows xp partition available to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Booting with WinXP

So, the only OS that I have on my system right now is Mandriva spring 2007 and I want to be able to have a windows xp partition available to play games on when I choose to. I am not exactly sure how to do this, when I put my windows disk in at BIOS and select boot from disc, nothing happens. Is it more complicated than this or is something wrong with my disk?

Nothing is wrong with Installation Disk. You have to remove GRUB first.
    You can use SuperGRUB CD or Windows 98 Bootable Floppy to remove GRUB.

Its a bit tricky to install Windows after Linux. In many cases, Windows OSes don't work properly in this kinda setup.
    Try to install Windows after removing GRUB. You have to re-install GRUB after Windows Installation. SuperGRUB CD has that option too.
    In case, it doesn't work, you have to remove Mandriva, Install Windows OS and re-install Mandriva.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Okay thanks, I think ill just go with uninstalling Mandriva first then installing Windows, then Mandriva again. But, how exactly do I uninstall Mandriva ?

In either case, you have to remove GRUB first. Remove GRUB using SuperGRUB CD or Windows Floppy.

Windows Installation CD will work after that. Delete existing partitions during installation and create free space for Mandriva after Windows Installation.

Just Joined!
    Okay so I downloaded the first file from forjamari: Super Grub Disk: Lista de ficheros and burnt it to a disk, but I dont know what to do then. Do I boot up from it? Because that doesnt seem to be working.

How did you burn .iso Image? Select BURN Image to Disk option in your CD Burner package. Boot up from SuperGRUB CD and Select Fix Windows Boot option.

Just Joined!
    The only option i have is "write to disc". Do i need a new CDburning program?

Yes. Which OS do you have right now? You can use Mandriva's K3B package to burn .iso image. It detects and burn .iso images correctly.

Just Joined!
    I have Mandriva 2007 Spring or something like that. I recall having that program at one point but i think I lost some of them including that one.

Re-install K3B from Installation CD/DVD. If you have access to Windows Machine, it will be very easy to burn .iso image with Nero. It has Boot Image to CD option.
    OR
    execute this
    Code:
    cdrecord  -v -pad speed=1 dev=0,0,0 supergrub.iso
    Replace supergrub.iso with exact name of SuperGRUB .iso image. You must be in folder having .iso image or give full path of .iso image in cdrecord command.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast