Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have just acquired a Logitech Quickcam messenger (usb cam/mic combined). I have tried to install qc-usb-0.6.5.tar.gz but it doesn't work. Is this the right driver (kernel 2.6.12). The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quickcam Messenger for Mandriva 2006

Hi, I have just acquired a Logitech Quickcam messenger (usb cam/mic combined). I have tried to install qc-usb-0.6.5.tar.gz but it doesn't work. Is this the right driver (kernel 2.6.12). The hardware wizard knows it has a usb device but not what it is. Usbview gives the ID as 046d:08da. Anyone had any experience of this device? Any advice gratefully received. If anyone knows a driver that will fix this, I would appreciate the link. Thanks.

According to this page, your camera's supported by the spca5xx project. Try downloading their driver (the one for kernels > 2.6.11), then untar it normally, run
    Code:
    make
    make install
    then to check the kernel module's there run
    Code:
    lsmod | grep videodev
    if you don't get any output, do
    Code:
    insmod videodev
    and repeat those two steps for usbcore and uhci (e.g. "lsmod | grep usbcore" etc)
    Next
    Code:
    modprobe spca5xx
    And the webcam should be working. You'll need to configure it to work with your messenger program (e.g. in aMSN you need to open ports 6890-6900 in your firewalls and configure with aMSN -> tools -> preferences -> Others -> configure webcam).

Hope that helps
    Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Just Joined!

Thanks

OK, took your advice. Got em both because you said go for kernel > 2.6.11. I have 2.6.12-12mdk so I installed gspca. It works fine on the camera but the mic does not work. I bought the cam because I couldnt get the mic working through the onboard sound card (NVIDIA snd-hda-intel, using the realtek audiopack). The hardware configure screen sees the camera but still finds it as unknown other and as a null device but it sees the ID, module as gspca, everything except the vendor. I have checked all the sound settings and can find no reason why either the usual mic or the usb mic do not work. Any clues on this?
    Also, many thanks with the driver link. I had seen that one but had never been successful with the download, my system said it had done it but there was no file. I have them both now so that is good. Your help so far is much appreciated.

ps. The camera is very dark. I have installed it on another disk with exactly the same results. It is so dark as to be of no benefit. I dont seem to have any way to alter its settings.
    The non working of the mic on either the usual mic jack on the sound card or the usb mic suggests a sound capture problem (same on both disks). Using usbview it sees the gspca device and sees it as both camera and mic. Still looking for ideas if you have any. Thanks again.
    I have also downloaded a prog called camorama gor webcam picture captures but it wont install. If you havent got that, it might be worth a look.

I'm afraid I've never used a microphone on linux before, so there's nothing I can tell you on that...

As to how dark the webcam appears, what program are you using it with? From my own experience (using mine from aMSN), it's brightness is easily configured from within that program. I don't know if there's a way to set it universally. And again, with the capturing of pictures from the webcam stream, I use the internal option in aMSN... This isn't a lot of help, is it... sorry :-S

Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Just Joined!

cam brightness

No, this time you are right. I do not use any msoft at all, strictly Linux. I have used gnome meeting to test the camera and wish to use it on skype. I have an old Logitech quickcam which, whilst a bit grainy, gives a perfect picture under the same usage (gnome meeting). I think I will be returning the messenger cam for refund tomorrow.
    As to the sound probs, I have raised a support ticket with realtek. I shall also investigate if any upgrades to the programs on my system might fix. If you have any thoughts on the sound capture, I would be grateful. Thanks.

Just Joined!

sorted

Well, I fixed this problem myself, I took it back and got a full refund. My old quickcam express works fine although a little grainy (it always was) but good enough. Interestingly, my system sees the old device as a camera but the new one was only ever seen by hardware as a null device. Usbview saw it as an input device with audio capability, but it gone back now.
    I still have the sound input problem but I will start a new thread for that. I think it is a different issue as neither sound card driven microphone OR usb mic worked.
    Thanks for your time, advice and help.

Joe.

Just Joined!

upgrade

A better fix was to upgrade to 2007.1. This has the drivers in the install DVD and the camera works fine from the install point. I consider this is now closed.