Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hi, re-install is a last resort and cannot be done for 3 weeks yet. I was happy with the lilo set up. only prob is the second line after the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

re-install

Hi, re-install is a last resort and cannot be done for 3 weeks yet. I was happy with the lilo set up. only prob is the second line after the default line, which is "boot=/dev/hda". How would this affect a boot from hdb or hdc? Is there something missing here? I have achieved this multi boot before but not on this PC, it is fairly new.

only prob is the second line after the default line, which is "boot=/dev/hda". How would this affect a boot from hdb or hdc? Is there something missing here?
    Try this:
    Copy vmlinuz file from /boot of hdb Harddisk and paste in /boot of hda. assign new name, something like vmlinuz_1.
    Edit this part
    Code:
    image=/boot/vmlinuz_1
    	label="Linux-32A"
    	root=/dev/hdb6
    	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    	append=" resume=/dev/hdb5 splash=silent"
    	vga=788
    Check if it works.

I have setup Multiboot with lilo once only. I prefer GRUB because its very easy to tweak and handle. I will look into this again. I will let you know pretty soon.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

vmlinuz_1

Hi, NOW I understand. the kernel is vmlinuz and, if the system has to see it on hda then it must be copied from the relevant hard drive under an alias (vmlinuz_1). Then the system reads the kernel from drive A but does the rest from the relevant drive and boots that drive. Kernels on each drive will vary according to whats installed (different modules etc), so every time a change is made, the kernel has to be updated on drive A. Each hard drive was installed as a stand alone master but, when I hooked them all up together, they conformed to the correct designation (hdb and hdc). I may, therefore, be able to just hook them all up, copy the kernels onto A and then we shall see. I will let you know the result when this has been attempted. I think this will be the answer. Thank you so much for all the attention to my problem so far.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

failed

Well, I've done that and it failed. The disks both failed to boot. I had to fix all 3 drives before they would boot up as individual masters. Linux tried to recognise them, made changes to the relevant fstabs etc but it was a long hard day. Bugs and especially kat crashes appeared. KDE system resources is not attainable as the library kcm_kdnssd has disappeared and so on. Back to square 1. Maybe using grub might help but I have no experience of this. I will wait for your next thoughts. Thanks again.

Just Joined!

fixed

Well, having had enough of all this, I upgraded to 2007.1. This fixed many problems. Multi boot has been achieved by using Grub. Lilo has a "boot=hda" statement which is global in that it comes above and before the various boot statements. In grub, the boot statement is in each separate entry. As long as the file "devices.map contains a reference to each and every hard drive, then you can boot any drive from the grub menu.lst installed on the master drive. Just edit that menu and correctly path each drive for boot purposes and all works fine. I consider this is now closed. Thanks for the interest.

Thanx for sharing solution with us.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Multi boot [Dedicated GRUB Partition]

or try this, google for "Multi boot [Dedicated GRUB Partition]"

the installation order for various linux distro doesn't matter.
    Just make sure:
    1. Use live cd to make one partition for bootloader, some partitions for your personal data, and some partitions for distros...

2.Install each distro into its own partition, and at the same time install its bootloader into that partition.

3.After all distros are installed, re-install the main bootloader into the bootloader partition, modify the boot menu...

for more details, google for "Multi boot [Dedicated GRUB Partition]"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2