Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a sound capture problem. I am on Mandriva 2006 official, both 32 and 64 bit (I have 3 x 80GB hard drives in the box). I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

no sound capture with NVIDIA MCP51 chipset

Hi, I have a sound capture problem. I am on Mandriva 2006 official, both 32 and 64 bit (I have 3 x 80GB hard drives in the box). I have the NVIDIA ALiveFN4G-DVI motherboard. The onboard sound chip is NVIDIA MCP51 hda using the snd-hda-intel driver. This driver was not successful on its own so I installed the realtek-linux-audiopack-3.5 package. BINGO, I got sound, except the microphone does not work. The mixer says it is on with gain at 80%. There is a capture page too which is on and not muted, but nothing I can do works. In desperation, I bought a logitech usb quickcam messenger with built in mic. This mic would not work either and I took the cam back and got a refund. Now, with BOTH soundchip mic jack AND usb mic's not working, it suggests a general sound capture fault. Bear in mind the sound capture has now been shown to fail on ALSA driver (jack mic) AND usb driver(gspca usb mic). I am on ALSA 1.0.9b. Yes, I have tried to upgrade the alsa more than once, trying the 1.0.14 version and succeeded in destroying the sound system sufficient to need to re-install the whole drive.
    I know from experience with this board that the driver has to be exact or nothing works. In this case I have done the various driver thing and know that only the realtek driver works. I did raise a support ticket 2 days ago with realtek but Taiwan has not yet replied.

The latest info is that I think this is a software clash. I read a very good piece on ALSA which is here:
    [URL="http://www.sabi.co.uk/Notes/linuxSoundALSA.html"]
    Alsa is all ok on my system. KDE uses aRts. If you do menu -> system -> configuration -> KDE -> sound -> sound system, you enable the sound system on the general tab. On the hardware tab you change the automatic to Advanced Linux Sonnd Architecture. You also enable full duplex and check "use custom sampling rate", setting it to 48000 and 16 bits. Now aRts is configured to use ALSA (OR is it). Having done all that I tried the sound recorder to test the mic. When I pressed the record I got the error "sound device dsp is not available, in use by another system". I found this to be aRts (I killed it and the recorder became available). Even then the mic does not work. Seems like a war between ALSA and aRts. The answer might be to stop KDE starting aRts but the system will not let me access the system resources window (missing kcm_kdnssd library. Also, if aRts is turned off, will KDE be able to init the cd player, k3b etc?
    Anyone got any inside knowledge? Anyone got any thoughts? Any help appreciated. Thank you for any replies.
    Last edited by joeclem111; 09-04-2007 at 05:15 PM. Reason: further info

Just Joined!

fixed

I have fixed this by installing a Yamaha PCI sound card. The problem occurs when your distro is significantly older that the board on the machine. Mandriva 2006 has no driver for the MCP 51 chip, so you have to install the driver after the distro is on. With the yamaha card, the distro has the driver so all works correctly. Maybe Mandriva 2007 has a driver for the MCP 51 chip.
    This is the first time I have ever known Linux to fail with new hardware

Just Joined!

a better fix

Hi, no Yamaha card now. An upgrade to 2007.1 has found and installed the onboard sound chip. I consider this is now closed.