Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, I'm fairly new to Linux in general and have went from Fedora to Ubuntu to Mandriva which seems more stable but having some issues with it. 1. Cannot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A couple of issues

Hi all, I'm fairly new to Linux in general and have went from Fedora to Ubuntu to Mandriva which seems more stable but having some issues with it.

1. Cannot login as root in gui mode. (Yes I know why it's not a good thing but I can screw up my system just as easy from SU in user) I only do it when SU options are overwhelming or simply easier to use in Gui mode else I stay in user. I know the fix for this etc/kde/XXX but it tells me permission denied. >
    /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc: Permission denied If Mandriva 2007 spring did this on purpose it can kiss my Linux butt goodbye. While I feel it is a safety feature for those who may screw up their system, I think it's like MS big brother scenario if they completely stopped users from accessing it. I tried to set login in security configs too but it goes back to no due to the kde file.

2. I have a remote share while "attempting to setup a home network shared folder" problem is, I can't get rid of it and I am locked from it even using SU. This is another reason I want in in Root gui mode, just so I can try to fix this. It is most likely a bug but a frustrating one.

Thanks and much appreciated. I am ready to give up using linux due to a number of issues and hoping "as last resort" to get this sorted so I can remain out of the Windows loop.

Paul

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums.

1) Root logins are disable by default in KDE, and for good reason.

2) Can't answer this one.
    oz

Just Joined!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

1) Root logins are disable by default in KDE, and for good reason.

2) Can't answer this one.
    Thanks for the welcome.

Well as I stated I know why the root logins are disabled for good reason, but I think this should be a user option and this to me just limits my ability to delve into Linux. As well, I used root gui login in Ubuntu and Fedora, besides that fact, if users are simply warned, that should be good enough. This isn't life threatening, it's a security issue in an OS and I simply feel it's taken too far by locking users out completely. On another side, I don't trust an OS that won't allow me access to what I need access to. Users can muck up their OSs anyway and to me it's an assumption that we aren't capable of operating our own OSs. Most of what I've learned and retained was through trial and error, not by locking me out. It seems more that Linux doesn't want to degrade their better than Windows security reputation with so many jumping into Ubuntu and such. This way 3 things accomplished, reputation and keeping new users safe, and slowing the flow of screw-ups. However, new users don't stay new forever, eventually they will want more control over the OS. If this is the case then I suppose I should move back to Fedora or an OS I don't like as much but have all my access I need.

That's just my opinion but I don't want it to be about this as I'm sure it's been argued a thousand times. I simply want full access to my operating system.

But thanks again for the welcome.

Paul

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't even remember the last time I logged into the root account under Linux. It was probably about 4 or 5 years ago, though. I've been able to do anything I want with su and kdesu, and such.

However, here's a HowTo with instructions for enabling root logins in KDE:

How To enable root logins in KDE / kwin on Suse Linux | Kimberly Lazarski
    oz

Just Joined!

Thanks, no go

I don't even remember the last time I logged into the root account under Linux. It was probably about 4 or 5 years ago, though. I've been able to do anything I want with su and kdesu, and such.

However, here's a HowTo with instructions for enabling root logins in KDE:

How To enable root logins in KDE / kwin on Suse Linux | Kimberly Lazarski

Thanks for the tip but it still won't work, says permission denied. I can't touch any of those files even in root mode. What I would like to know, what permissions are holding this from root? I thought root has all access?

Thanks,

Paul

oz
    forum.guy
    What steps did you take to edit the file?
    oz

Just Joined!

Strange behavior

What steps did you take to edit the file?
    Oddly enough, I opened two terminals and it worked on the second. I tried it twice. If I tried the access in one terminal, it says permission denied, If I open it in another terminal at the same time, it works I did this on accident and couldn't figure out what was going on but tried it again and sure enough, it works.

I am thinking my whole system is just buggy. I went in root login and was able to finally access the remote share which I couldn't do from SU in user mode but all it did was open it THEN gave me the glass shattering news I had no permission. I don't think I have much choice but to reinstall yet again.

Thanks,

Paul

oz
    forum.guy
    Glad you were able to change it. Post back if you should continue to have troubles after fresh install.
    oz

I think that nobody should decide for us what we are going to do with our computers.

If you want root login in kde:

Edit file /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc and replace AllowRootLogin=false with AllowRootLogin=true

Just Joined!

Update

Quote Originally Posted by glussier View Post
    I think that nobody should decide for us what we are going to do with our computers.

If you want root login in kde:

Edit file /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc and replace AllowRootLogin=false with AllowRootLogin=true

Well here's an update First thanks for the tip glussier, I think that comes in handy to be able to login in gui mode and has for me a number of times. Sometimes SU just doesn't work from command and actual access is the only thing that will so, especially if you have a multitude of things to accomplish.

@ everyone: I have reinstalled a couple of times and currently, "knock on wood" I have everything working. I'm not sure if the installs were just murky or what but everything is operating as should be, except for browsing my home network and file sharing. That I need to take a step at a time, I don't want to end up with the last problem.

So with great help at the Mandriva forum as well as here, I am hopefully going to keep everything in order.

Thanks again,

Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast