Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, havent been here in a couple of years.,... LOL I tried Mandriva Spring 2007 on a vmware and realy like it. I have a toshiba satellite A70 that is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

questions about dual boot

Hi,

havent been here in a couple of years.,... LOL

I tried Mandriva Spring 2007 on a vmware and realy like it.

I have a toshiba satellite A70 that is running XP on it now with a 80Gb disk. I wanted to know how I can install Mandriva in a dual boot without re-installing XP from the start? Is this at all possible?

I have hear something about ntfsresize...

can someone shead some light?

Thanks

Its possible and easy. Create Free/Unpartitioned Space for Mandriva. Partition Manager is available in Mandriva Installation CD/DVD and you can shrink/create/delete partitions in Partition Section during Installation.
    Start Installation and Select Free/Unpartitioned Space in Partition Section during installation. Installer will create and format partitions out of free space and setup dual boot itself.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    Its possible and easy. Create Free/Unpartitioned Space for Mandriva. Partition Manager is available in Mandriva Installation CD/DVD and you can shrink/create/delete partitions in Partition Section during Installation.
    Start Installation and Select Free/Unpartitioned Space in Partition Section during installation. Installer will create and format partitions out of free space and setup dual boot itself.
    Thanks...

I'm doing this now... I'm just about finished re-installing XP... [dont ask]...

Just Joined!
    also, what is the difference between the mandriva cd and DVD? which one should I use?

Both have same set of packages. 1 DVD or a set of 5-6 CDs.

Just Joined!

Dual istallation - default boot (bootloader?) issue

Hi, Casper & folks,

I am about at the same point as npereira - have a PC running on XP and want to install Madriva as a secondary bot options. S far so good as I had left a small empty partition aside, Mandriva installation went okay and I am somewhat in., no harm done to XP - now, here`s the tricky issue:

I would expect that in the XP I woll be able to set the primary OS. Unfortunately there are only XP as an option. Also, when powering the PC up, I get OS to select - Linux (in the first position), Recovery and XP - or about that). Is it the way things should be? Is there a way to have XP booting up as default unless I set the machine otherwise?

In another words, as a fresh meat I have the Mandriva for fun only, I intend to mostly work with XP. Is there way to have this fixed easily, please?

Is this related to the bootloader file? Well, I have no idea what the desired GRUB/LILO settings are...

Thanks in advance for any tutor-to-beginner advice...

Majkl

Hi Majkl !

You are right. Its related to Boot Loader file ( /boot/grub/menu.lst ) only.
    Execute this
    Code:
    su
    nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Count title lines ( start counting from zero ) and set Windows title line no. as default value.
    Let say Windows title line is 4th line, set default 3.
    If you have any confusion, post the contents of menu.lst file here.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    Hi Majkl !

You are right. Its related to Boot Loader file ( /boot/grub/menu.lst ) only.
    Execute this
    Code:
    su
    nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Count title lines ( start counting from zero ) and set Windows title line no. as default value.
    Let say Windows title line is 4th line, set default 3.
    If you have any confusion, post the contents of menu.lst file here.

Hey, Gimli, put down the axe, this is my very first venture to linux. ;o)

Well, I booted the Mandriva DVD, entered the rescue mode and selected the GRUB to be repaired. Nothing new in the XP menu (still it may have helped). I lost my patience and reinstalled the Mandriva completely while linking the GRUB to a different mount point (whatever that means - there seem to be two...!) to the root file (not MBR) and setting the XP as a primary boot in the Bootloader menu.

Voila, after a restart I got the blue Mandriva screen prompting me to chose XP, Linux or Linux safe mode. XP is default so after a timeout they go on as needed. :o)

Is this functional (it iws working) - or have I only found a clumsy workaround, please? I want my things working - but am a nit worried about changing things I have little idea of. / Just in case ... is there a way of removing linux safely without any harm done to the XP?

Thanks a lot. ;o)

Just Joined!

Dual installation - divided linux partition?

Okay, another one on a related subject:

As mentioned I had a single separate empty partition for linux - 5 GB (don't laugh, it is a lame fun only). When installing Mandriva I see there are two volumes (or mounting points) - "/" and "/home" (plus there are various options to rename them. Is this normal?

I appear to be having issues installing Mandriva into one of them only. Can they be merged somehow easily so that I have my 5 GB, please?

Thanks a lot in advance and kind Regards,

Majkl

Quote Originally Posted by Majkl View Post
    Okay, another one on a related subject:

As mentioned I had a single separate empty partition for linux - 5 GB (don't laugh, it is a lame fun only). When installing Mandriva I see there are two volumes (or mounting points) - "/" and "/home" (plus there are various options to rename them. Is this normal?

I appear to be having issues installing Mandriva into one of them only. Can they be merged somehow easily so that I have my 5 GB, please?

Thanks a lot in advance and kind Regards,

Majkl
    The answer is NO, actually the typical Linux (most all distros work this way) is as follows
    / = root
    /swap = scratch disk or physical memory, and
    /home = Basically "My Documents" folder

and basically this is how it allocates them:
    root 60%
    swap 10% (or the equivalent in RAM if you have 512 in RAM it sets it at about 600MB for swap)
    home 40%

This is the typical installation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast