Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a PC with 1GB RAM, AMD Sempron 3000 processor, 3 x 80GB hard drives, ASROCK AliveNF4G-DVI motherboard with MCP51 ethernet and sound chip and NVIDIA GE6100 video ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

abnormal processor use

Hi, I have a PC with 1GB RAM, AMD Sempron 3000 processor, 3 x 80GB hard drives, ASROCK AliveNF4G-DVI motherboard with MCP51 ethernet and sound chip and NVIDIA GE6100 video chip. I use a Yamaha pci sound card (MCP51 does not read the mic) and an Edimax pci RTL8139 ethernet card (MCP51 not working). I run Mandriva 2006 official (both 64 and 32 bit) and have from time to time experienced a near crash situation. Using top I have established that kded is running at a processor usage of from 79% to 99%. I believe that the kded process is related to "refer to a remote url". I also notice from top that there are 3 identical users ( I only set 1 up from installation). I have killed the kded process and all seemed well. I then noticed that it was happening again and top showed it to be X running at 99%. Of course X cannot be killed as it runs the graphics display. My internet connection is LAN DHCP through a router modem with NAT on it. Clamav says the system is virus free. I have the output from ll -l /proc/xxxx/fd/ for both the kded and X processes. The common thing to both is many and multiple sockets. As I write this top shows me normal usage ( 0.3% processor) but the memory usage is 955400 out of 970320 available. There is a 2GB swap file of which none is in use. I can be on the PC for 3 or 4 hours with a normal output from top and then the abnormal usage will just start. This suggests something or someone from the internet using my machine for their own purposes, just as a browser hijacker might. Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have any ideas? I also have the output from dmesg whilst this is going on. I have not posted the 3 files as they are quite large but can do if needed. All help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Just Joined!

closed

I think this was a bug in a program, probably Kat. An upgrade to 2007.1 has fixed it. I consider this is now closed.