Find the answer to your Linux question:
Iam not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question. I am trying to run Eclipse Java IDE, I have installed and tested the JDK by compiling ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

gtk warning when starting Java eclipse

Iam not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question. I am trying to run Eclipse Java IDE, I have installed and tested the JDK by compiling and running a small Java program. But when I try to start Eclipse I get the following error on my shell

(eclipse:1022: Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "ia_ora",

An a graphical dialog displays

JVM terminated. Exit code=13
    /opt/jdk1.6.0_02/bin/java
    -Xms40m
    -Xmx512m
    -Dosgi.bundlefile.limit=100
    -jar /home/wiraj/Download/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.0.v20070606.jar
    -os linux
    -ws gtk
    -arch x86
    -showsplash
    -launcher /home/wiraj/Download/eclipse/eclipse
    -name Eclipse
    --launcher.library /home/wiraj/Download/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_1.0.0.v 20070606/eclipse_1017a.so
    -startup /home/wiraj/Download/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.0.v20070606.jar
    -exitdata 310011
    -vm /opt/jdk1.6.0_02/bin/java
    -vmargs
    -Xms40m
    -Xmx512m
    -Dosgi.bundlefile.limit=100
    -jar /home/wiraj/Download/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.0.v20070606.jar

I am using Mandriva 2007 Spring 64 bit

I've read about this error. It's not particular to Eclipse (the thread I read about was talking about Google Earth), but it is peculiar to the 64-bit version of Mandriva. Is there a specific reason you're running X86_64? You're likely to have less issues with regular X86.

Here's the thread I'm talking about:
    Mandriva Club Forum >> View topic - direct rendering---Google Earth(solved)

On page 2 the poster says his issues were ironed out by installing the 32-bit version instead.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    I've read about this error. It's not particular to Eclipse (the thread I read about was talking about Google Earth), but it is peculiar to the 64-bit version of Mandriva. Is there a specific reason you're running X86_64? You're likely to have less issues with regular X86.

Here's the thread I'm talking about:
    Mandriva Club Forum >> View topic - direct rendering---Google Earth(solved)

On page 2 the poster says his issues were ironed out by installing the 32-bit version instead.
    Well I am just testing to see if I can use a 64 bit Linux as my permanent OS and I would prefer to use it because it will make the best use of my processor . I did solve a couple 64-bit of issues by myself and I don't want it to goto waste, I also saw the thread you are talking about and not very impressed with the solution.

So If there is a another way of doing this please help me (there has got to be one) thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wirajR View Post
    Well I am just testing to see if I can use a 64 bit Linux as my permanent OS and I would prefer to use it because it will make the best use of my processor .
    Are you sure it will make best use of your processor? As of the last time I played with one, the X86_64 distributions really offer no noticeable performance benefit over their 32-bit counterparts and only introduce new problems (such as yours here). I've written down my thoughts here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...bit-linux.html

So If there is a another way of doing this please help me (there has got to be one) thanks
    I'm sure there is a way, but unfortunately I do not know what it is. Best of luck with your 64-bit experiment.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    I'm sure there is a way, but unfortunately I do not know what it is. Best of luck with your 64-bit experiment.
    well thank you. I Think I will keep the 64bit and have another 32 bit Mandriva as a working system on this computer along with windows.

What I realized is that the sound quality and graphics performance on this system (linux 64) in superior to that of my XP 32bit, on this machine. figured it was because of the 64 bit installation any way running eclipse is a must on any system that I work on, so lets see until we find a solution.

And thanks again for your time.