Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Two sata hard drives. One with windows xp, the other dedicated to linux with two distributions on it. I have a broken Spring 2007.1 which resists repair and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs down Remove Spring 2007 from second harddrive

Hi,
    Two sata hard drives.
    One with windows xp, the other dedicated to linux with two distributions on it.
    I have a broken Spring 2007.1 which resists repair and I wish to remove it from the second hard drive.
    I have gparted.
    Can I safetly use gparted to reformat that section which mandriva resides on?
    Will removing mandriva affect boot up at the start with the MBR grub if the second linux distribution remains?

Thanks
    Best regards
    Bill

If you have installed Mandriva's GRUB in MBR then deleting its partition(s) will certainly create problems. Re-install other distro's GRUB in MBR.
    In case you are not using Mandriva's GRUB, you are good to go.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    hi devils casper,
    I beleive the MBR to be in the mandriva partion.
    I have super grub.
    Is it possible once the Mandriva partion is deleted that I can use supergrub to place the MBR back in the second distro?
    I tried to use supergrub before to restore the MBR and all I achieved was the Mandriva Boot screen at the start again.
    I am hoping that once deleted that supergrub will restore the MBR to is new place. Would I be correct in assuming this?.
    Thanks
    Best regards
    Bill

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You should try to re-install other distro's GRUB before removing Mandriva. SuperGRUB CD detects GRUB of all installed distros. Doesn't it list two partitions having GRUB?
    I mean. If you have two Linux distros in HD then SuperGRUB CD should list two GRUB entries, one linked to Mandriva's root partition and second linked to other distro's root partition.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi Devils Casper,
    Did not do exactly what you suggested, however I have been able to restore the MBR using super grub.
    Didn't have much luck with the running the live CD to restore the grub.
    I had to restore manually using supergrub from the selections given as automatic didn't work on this occassion.
    The mandriva has now been allocated to free space.
    I thanyou for your assistance and valuable input.
    Best Regards
    Bill