Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I recently installed Mandriva 2006 I think on my folks computer. Everything is fine, but would much prefer if it was running KDE rather than GNOME. Ive tried googling ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I install KDE?

Hi,

I recently installed Mandriva 2006 I think on my folks computer. Everything is fine, but would much prefer if it was running KDE rather than GNOME. Ive tried googling it, but every guide i get is based on upgrading KDE not installing it as another session in Mandriva. Could someone just give me a simple breakdown on what i should be doing. Ive done it before in ubuntu just by typing "sudo apt-get install Kubuntu-desktop". I know this is slightly easier as ubuntu has another flavour with KDE, but so does Mandriva. Is there anything like this i can do in Mandriva?

Thanks

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Run the package installer and install task-kde. If task-kde is not available for Mandriva 2006, then at the minimum, you need to install kdelibs, kdebase and kdm in order to get the base KDE. You can then choose more KDE apps from the package manager if you wish. Before installing any of the KDE packages, make sure that you have the main, contrib, plf and updates repos setup using the instructions from easyurpmi.

Just Joined!
    Cheers thanks a lot. Ill have a look later and see if i run into any problems.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close