Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Today i installed mandira 2007 to taste a different distro. Before i used fedora. From FC, its very easy to install things, in addition it resolves the dependencies for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Mandriva application problem....plss help

Hi,
    Today i installed mandira 2007 to taste a different distro. Before i used fedora. From FC, its very easy to install things, in addition it resolves the dependencies for me. But in mandria it is quite difficult. I think it will be fine once i get used to this distro. But, when ever i try to install a package, it prompts me to insert the installation media, and i cant install anything from the net. I tried urpmi from the terminal , but everytime it says theres no such package. I noticed that im not getting any updates either. Is there anyway that i can install them from the internet. And in mandriva, is it able to add other repos. and oh, BTW I cant the flash plugin.

Then I tried to install deluge. It was missing some dependencies, so i install them manually. Now i can see it from menu. But i cant open it. When i try to open it from terminal, i get this error.

[root@localhost Desktop]# deluge
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/deluge", line 31, in <module>
    import deluge, deluge.dcommon, deluge.delugegtk
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/deluge/dcommon.py", line 22, in <module>
    import xdg, xdg.BaseDirectory
    ImportError: No module named xdg

I dont know whats happening here. I would really appreciate if some would help me out getiing along with this. Thanks in advance.

Nabaachy

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    If you want to use internet repos, then go to easyurpmi and setup the various main, contrib, plf and updates repositories. You can then disable the cd/dvd as an installation source. As for the deluge issue, you need to install the python xdg module (not sure of the exact name, just search for python or xdg in the package manager).

Linux Newbie
    Hi dark.child. Thanks for the quick reply. I have already installed pyxdg. I will the follow the easy urpmi thing, now m going to ZZzzzzz.
    i was wondering if the fedora's rpms are compatible with mandriva.
    Thanks again

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I wouldn't install Fedora rpms on Mandriva. Some may install and work fine, but there is also the potential to break Mandrivas own packages and you probably would experience lots of dependency issues.

Linux Newbie
    Hi again,
    i have added the mirors in the easy urpm and everything is great. Now i can get updates install app via console. Thanks for your help. Just one more thing. I cant write to my ntfs usb drive. It auto mounts the drive when plugged in. I tried unmounting and again mounting it manually, but i cannot do so, here is the drive name from fdisk -l:
    /dev/sdb1 1 14593 117218241 7 HPFS/NTFS

I tried to mount it like this,
    # su-
    # mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /media/Nabachi -o defaults,umask=0

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
    missing codepage or other error
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so
    In dmesg it says,
    NTFS-fs error (device sdb1): parse_options(): Invalid umask option argument: o

I tried adding this drive to fstab too. it did not work. Can u please help me to solve this.

Nabaachy