Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. I'm having a bit of trouble setting up an NFS server. I have two hard drives on my desktop, one is partitioned and dual booting Mandriva 2007 with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

NFS server setup

Hi all.

I'm having a bit of trouble setting up an NFS server.

I have two hard drives on my desktop, one is partitioned and dual booting Mandriva 2007 with XP. The other is a 250Gb FAT32 drive with all my files on (so both boots can access them properly).

I'm trying to NFS share my files drive to my laptop over wireless, which is running Slackware 12. The Slackware NFS seems to be set up properly but my Mandriva machine doesn't seem to have NFS.

I have set the exports, hosts.allow and hosts.deny files properly but trying to mount gives the error RPC: not recognised on the laptop. When I try service restart nfs on the desktop it tells me service nfs not found. There was also another command which looks for services running and nfs wasn't there (can't remember the command right now, on the laptop). This would suggest to me that the nfs service was not installed but when I try urpmi nfs it gives me a list of packages containing nfs, suggesting that it is there.

If anyone could give me a hand setting this up it would be greatly appreciated. I really dont want to mess around with USB sticks etc every time I wish to work on a file on my laptop. As well as being able to get to my files easily when my desktop is completely tied up (e.g. rendering a blender animation or something).

Many thanks.
    Danny

Problem solved!

Nevermind about the issue, I have figured it out after a bit of playing around. I had many nfs packages installed, but not for some reason 'nfs-utils'.

An update of the urpmi database and an install fixed it completely.
    Now shareing files happily with my Slackware laptop.