Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'd like my 2 PCs to share files with one another; one is using Mandriva 2007and the other is using XP pro but i've been having trouble getting them ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ping problems

Hi,

I'd like my 2 PCs to share files with one another; one is using Mandriva 2007and the other is using XP pro but i've been having trouble getting them to communicate. Everything should be ok but I noticed they could'nt ping each other and i've just found out my Linux machine cannot ping the loopback address. It exists in /etc/hosts as localhost but i couldn't add it to the kernel routing table, it just says the device cannot be found. Any suggestions? i know it can't be good.

thanks

Cool Ping problems

Can your Linux box get out to the Internet?

I haven't tried. its my first attempt at linux networking so i just wanted to make sure it would all run smooth with XP. I've just got the linux box and the XP machine connected to a hub and thats it

Ok, I've now just installed the same Mandriva version from the same disks onto a virtual machine on an XP pro box in work. Same ping problems but it CAN connect to the internet. a problem with the TCP/IP stack perhaps?

Linux Enthusiast
    Can we get you to run these commands (as root) on the box that's giving you problems and post the output here. It will show us your network settings and give us an idea of the problem.

Code:
    ifconfig -a
    route -n
    iptables -L
    It's very unlikely to be a problem with the TCP stack. Probably just a misconfiguration or a driver problem.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

thanks for the reply but i think I'm ok now (maybe ). I just read here Linux Shortcuts and Commands that with linux, you need to cancel your ping or else it just keeps going. I though there was something wrong with mine because it was doing that

cheers

Cool

Try the following:

ping -c 10 Google

It will ping google 10 times then stop. Maybe that is what you want.