Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just loaded Mandriva 2008 and love it, with one exception. I cant my DVD player to work at all. Here is what I'm running on! Linux BigDog 2.6.22.9-laptop-1mdv #1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Cant mount DVD in Mandriva 2008

I just loaded Mandriva 2008 and love it, with one exception. I cant my DVD player to work at all.

Here is what I'm running on!

Linux BigDog 2.6.22.9-laptop-1mdv #1 SMP Thu Sep 27 04:17:10 CEST 2007 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.80GHz GNU/Linux

[kmoreno@BigDog dev]$ ls -l dvd*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2007-10-27 10:57 dvd -> hdc
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2007-10-27 10:57 dvd0 -> hdc

Here is the error message I get!

[root@BigDog dev]# lsdvd
    Can't open disc /dev/dvd!

It also dont see the DVD player in drakehardware, its not listed at all.

I know the DVD player works because I have Mandriva 2006 loaded on it and it worked great. This is a clean install of 2008. I started from square one.

Any help would be great.

Hi

What directories do you have in /mnt ? Is there a subdirectory in /mnt called disk/ ? If so, what happens if you cd /mnt and issue the command ls -l ?

I would expect there to be a symbolic link in there to hdc -> /dev/hdc . If there isn't, that may be the cause of this problem.

To create symbolic links you use the ln command. For example (as root):
    ln -s /dev/hdc .

Which dvd player are you using (the software I mean) and what brand of dvd hardware to you have?

It seems strange that you can't see the hardware listed. This might be the real problem!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    What I see is the Dir call /mnt/disk and a new one with Mandriva 2008 called /media/cdrom

There are no sym links to either dir. When I try to mount the disk with mount -a or mount iso9660 /media/cdrom or mount iso9660 /mnt/cdrom I get the error message cant mount file system.

The DVD drive works fine with Mandriva 2006.. I'm not sure what the issue is but it looks like it is somthing with Mandriva 2008

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I wouldn't bother trying to mount the dvd. Become root, enter /mnt/disk and issue the command ln -s /dev/hdc .

You should be able to tell if your distro has seen your dvd player by (as root) typing ls /proc/ide/ide1/hdc | cat model
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso