Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am a total newbie to linux and am trying out various versions. I have downloaded both versions of mandriva linux (2007 and No1) Neither disl will pick up on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can't load or install mandriva

I am a total newbie to linux and am trying out various versions. I have downloaded both versions of mandriva linux (2007 and No1) Neither disl will pick up on booting. A grub message fleetingly pops up but the pc defaualts to windows. My bios is set to boot from CD/DVD.
    I have had other versions of linux on my hard drives. Both suse 10.3 and ubuntu. Each time I have reset the MBR.
    Any Ideas for me please?
    Thanks.
    Brian

Hello - is it possible to set your BIOS so that it won't try to boot from your hdd(s)? In other words, disable your hard drive(s).
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

mandriva

Thanks for the reply.
    I have already installed and uninstalled both ubuntu and suse 10.3 without problem using just boot from CD and find it hard to see that as the problem. I have an AMD athlon 64 bit single processor and was wondering if that is the prob as I think...only think..that mandriva only works on intel or dual core processors. If this is so. Maybe that is the problem. Mandrika is certainly displaying grub but not picking it up.
    cheers.
    Brian

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Unhappy bios answer for fingal

Just looked in BIOS. can only have a 1,2,3 prference. They swap around auto

Hi there - I'm not sure what the solution is, but the CPU won't be a factor. Almost any flavour of Linux will work well with any type of chip. My own chip is an AMD in fact.

It sounds like your BIOS is a factor. Once you get Mandriva set up, GRUB can be configured to boot Windows as well. Are you sure you have a complete bootable distro on your installation disk?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

which?

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply,
    I have decided to buy a disk...Just in case I have downlaoed the wrong ones of something went amiss with the transfer. I have a choice of Gnome or KDE. Which would you recommend Please.
    Again, my thanks.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by ecrivain5 View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply,
    I have decided to buy a disk...Just in case I have downlaoed the wrong ones of something went amiss with the transfer. I have a choice of Gnome or KDE. Which would you recommend Please.
    Again, my thanks.
    Brian
    Yes buying is an excellent idea. It's better to get hold of a DVD if possible as that saves a lot of time and effort (more libraries and software included).

As for Gnome / KDE, that depends very much on personal preference. I use KDE at home and it suits me very well. If you have room on your hdd, why not experiment with both and decide that way? You will find your chosen Linux distro(s) to be incredibly flexible and easy to customise.

Best wishes - fingal

Just Joined!

thanks

Hi again Fingal,
    I have just realised that when I boot I am booting to the suse 10.3 window giving me a choice of.
    windows 1
    windows2
    floppy.
    I would have thought this should have gone with the uninstall of suse. Apparently not....any thoughts of getting me back to normal before Mandriva arrives
    Cheers.
    Brian

Post the contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst file of SuSe here. Are both, windows1 and windows2 options booting up Windows OS properly?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Yes, all is still working>>Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast