Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am new with the linux os and I am having problem installing .tar programs. I would like to install winrar. Can someone please help....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I install winrar on mandriva 2008

I am new with the linux os and I am having problem installing .tar programs.
    I would like to install winrar. Can someone please help.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Check this HowTo for steps on installing software under Linux:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by alibani View Post
    I am new with the linux os and I am having problem installing .tar programs.
    I would like to install winrar. Can someone please help.
    you dont need winrar in linux winrar is a windows program u will need to use wine to run it any way tar files you can simpy right click and select extract to folder then read the file inside or follow ozar's link

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

unzip a .rar file in linux

I think scrarfussi wants to unzip a file that has been compressed with .rar extension.. the uncompressed file may not be windows file but can be something like a document or presentation etc.

any help?
    dr_smit
    Registered Linux User # 442381
    You get life once....... If you live right, once is enough!
    Mandriva 2008, CentOS 5, Sabalyon..

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    If you want to extract rar files in Linux, then you need to install unrar using you package manager. You first need to go to easyurpmi and setup the plf repos for Mandriva 2008 and then do
    Code:
    #urpmi unrar
    Alternatively you can use the GUI package manager, search for unrar and select it for install.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    If you want to extract rar files in Linux, then you need to install unrar using you package manager. You first need to go to easyurpmi and setup the plf repos for Mandriva 2008 and then do
    Code:
    #urpmi unrar
    Hello, I'm also totally new to linux and have just installed Mandriva 2008. I tried to follow what you have adviced. I have visited the easyurpmi link, clicked "add plf files" (I guess this is what you meant by "setup plf repos"). Installing was succesfull.
    Then I opened the console and wrote in exactly : #urpmi unrar (why so? Is it a command that installs unrar?) It didn't confirm anything when I hit enter.
    I got back to the RAR-file I wanted to open, clicked on "open with Ark" and then I got the message: The utility unrar is not in your PATH. Please install it or contact your system administrator.
    That means that I haven't succeded in installing unrar, right? Where and what I have done wrong?
    I tried also clicking for: "open with", but I couldn't find unrar there.
    Would be really grateful for help.

Just Joined!
    I tried another thing, but it didn't work either. I cannot seem to do anything on linux and I just panic... I found that unrarlib040.zip file was in my temp directory -

(I don't get it why, but each time I want to download something like mp3 or whatever, if I choose to download it normally, I just get a file with 0 kb.. I have to do it another way, I click on "open" (instead of "download"), and THEN I see that the file is downloading, so I can move it directly afterwards from temp to any other directory)

so I tried to follow the steps mentioned in the first post here (how to install sofware in linux), that is - I tried to install it through console commands. But it's written there that it is best to have the file you want to unzip (in this case this unrarlib040) in usr/local/src. I have this directory, but.. I cannot move this zip file there. I click on "cut", and then come in to /usr/local/src and click "paste URL", but I get the message: Access denied. Could not write to usr/local/src/unrarlib040.zip

This is almost like moment 22:
    I cannot save any new files to any directory, it has to be made through "open file" and then through moving manually the temp file (which is the whole file) to the directory I want it to be. But this doesn't work with usr/local/src. On the other hand I don't know how to write in the path to temp directory, I have it on another partition. The command "cd usr/local/src/ works very well, but I tried the same with writing the path to temp, both with writing "hde6" in the beginning, and without, but I get the message: "file or cataloge doesn't exist".

Sorry to bother you, but at the moment I'm totally frustrated, I just want to unrar one file, and get back to studying to the exam, I don't have time right now to learn ALL the basic things in linux.. but it seems that I cannot do ANYTHING on linux, cannot download (just open-temp-move), cannot change the directory to temp using the command cd, cannot move the zip file to usr/local/src ...

I'm TRYING to understand and think something out, but I just feel a wall, it seems like I'm banging my head towards it Please help...

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Everything has some sort of learning curve and if you do not have time to master the basics, then you will have problems using Linux and you probably will be continually frustrated.

One thing you can try is to click on this link and when prompted to install the package, accept, enter roots password and unrar will hopefully be installed.

Just Joined!
    First I want to say THANK YOU SO VERY, VERY MUCH, daark.child!!!!
    I'm really grateful for this, it is the first thing that actually WORKED!

Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    Everything has some sort of learning curve and if you do not have time to master the basics, then you will have problems using Linux and you probably will be continually frustrated.
    Yes, you are absolutely right. And I sensed that you're probably gonna write something like this.. I felt that maybe writing about this "time" wasn't really appropriate here. But as I said - I don't refer to not having time at all (or not willing to spend some time), but simply - not having time now, during this two weeks I have left to the exam at the university. I'm planning to sit down a bit with basics of linux.

But then it is true that I feel not just a bit lost.. I don't know where to start. These tutorials should be a fantastic thing for a total beginner like me. But you saw what happened when I tried to follow some BASIC steps.. I don't even know what I wrote wrong. So I guess I need some kind of a "linux for dummies". :/

But I haven't asked the question because I was to lazy to look for the answer myself.. As I wrote before - I tested different ways, I spent also 2-3 hours before just trying to find some answer on some forum/site before I posted my post here. I ran out of ideas what I could do. And I haven't even asked "do it for me", I wanted to know in the first place what it was I'm doing wrong (of all of the things I described).

But this link was amazing, I don't know how you found it, but it works!

Hey Joko, welcome to the forums. Glad you got the problem solved. Just as a curiosity for myself, when you typed the above command did you leave the # hash sign in it?

It's an old convention to leave a # or $ sign to signify root user or normal user. Personally I don't like or use this convention as the hash symbol is also a comment, which renders the command useless That may have had something to do with it just returning without any information in this case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast