Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Question, what do I do with the whole media suorce for the pakage manager thing? Problem 1, the left mouse botton on my mouse stopped working, so I plugged a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

1 Question, 3 Problems

Question, what do I do with the whole media suorce for the pakage manager thing?

Problem 1, the left mouse botton on my mouse stopped working, so I plugged a new mouse in, then all green vanished meaning everything green turned to red, and everything white turned to pink, how do I fix this?

Problem 2, Firefox has no access to the net, how do I fix this?

Problem 3, Konqueror does not load all images, like here, I have a snapshot, but how do I upload it, I can't see an option?

just to problem 2) firefox has it own settings for connection to internet... usually it works fine, but if you have some special configuration, i'll need to edit it in firfox... it's somewhere in Edit -> Preferences

Quote Originally Posted by Zirconium View Post
    Question, what do I do with the whole media suorce for the pakage manager thing?

Problem 1, the left mouse botton on my mouse stopped working, so I plugged a new mouse in, then all green vanished meaning everything green turned to red, and everything white turned to pink, how do I fix this?

Problem 2, Firefox has no access to the net, how do I fix this?

Problem 3, Konqueror does not load all images, like here, I have a snapshot, but how do I upload it, I can't see an option?
    Problem 0.: If you want to add another sources you should visit the Easy Urpmi website and retrieve the codes you'll have to copy/paste into Konsole as root in order to obtain new package source. If you already have some packages downloaded on some CD/DVD you should copy all the *.RPM's into a folder and you can set up this folder as a repository via rpmdrake and source management. It's quite easy! This is one thing I like the most in Mandriva. I like it better than the stupid way of package handling found in Debian-based distributions. It's quite difficult to create a proper repository for the latter ones.
    Problem 2.: Do you have a working internet connection ? Usually you don't have to do anything for Firefox and any other browser to work.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Problem 2.: Do you have a working internet connection ? Usually you don't have to do anything for Firefox and any other browser to work

yes I do, but I used konqueror

EDIT: problem 1 solved, it was the cord connection

Linux Newbie
    can anyone help with either problem one or two?

Linux Newbie
    Anyone?

also firefox has the same settings as konqueror, so I doubt the problem resides there

also, how do you change the Kmenu icon on the panel?

EDIT: OK, I am confused, Firefox was working for 2 minutes, then it stopped working, what is going on?

Linux Newbie
    Please, I'll take anything, even a stupid guess, I don't care, I just need one of them of them to work correctly

also I tried opera and, and no go, please I need help

Quote Originally Posted by Zirconium View Post
    Please, I'll take anything, even a stupid guess, I don't care, I just need one of them of them to work correctly

also I tried opera and, and no go, please I need help
    Hmmmm... For the Firefox problem try:

1. In the Firefox browser address bar type: about:config
    2. Scroll down and locate: network.dns.disableIPv6
    3. Double click the line and it will set the value from false to true.
    4. Close Firefox, then re-open it.

Any luck? If that doesn't work then it might be a DNS problem.

Edit:

Some extra information: sometimes connection problems (a whole variety of them) relate to the IPV6 protocol. I had a lot of trouble with this for a long time as it was blocking my package manager.

It's a good idea to learn about the contents of /etc/modprobe.conf . You can disable IPV6 in there, but that's for another thread or a Google search. Or even search this Forum...
    Last edited by fingal; 11-14-2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Extra info.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Newbie
    It works perfectly now, but as that firefox was the Mandriva version, it did not have a update feature, so I grabbed a firefox rpm, but it couldn't install due to a locale-ga not been whatever it needs, so I grabbed an install file for that from where I grabbed the rpm for firefox, but appently it didn't help, and when I said to install that thing, it said something about not been correct, so I tried to compile the tar ball into a rpm, but it said something about there been no configure file when I reached the part for /.configure

so I'll need either a full guide to compile the tar ball, a rpm that installs all things necessary or rpm's for all thing needed

sorry for all this trouble, and I thank you all for all your help

Hi again - You wouldn't want to install Firefox from source or to package it into an rpm as - assuming you've downloaded it from the Mozilla site - it has its own installer. However, this might not be familiar to you, and it is a bit different from most of the packages you are likely to use.

The installer might be called something like installer-bin . As root, you would need to make it executable with chmod +x installer-bin then type ./installer-bin .

That's just a rough example. There's no configure file with Firefox. It's not as hard as it sounds, I promise you. Let me know if any of that makes sense, or works... Some installers have the 'sh' suffix after their name.

You need to ensure that you are downloading FF from a trusted source and that you have the complete package.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast