Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a question regarding the 'start' menu in gnome under mandriva 2007 (not spring edition). I right click on the menu choose edit, but I am not allowed to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gnome menu editing

I have a question regarding the 'start' menu in gnome under mandriva 2007 (not spring edition). I right click on the menu choose edit, but I am not allowed to do anything. I have a few launchers I would like to remove, and also reordering. So is there a way for me to unlock it so I can edit it as a user?
    When I do the same operation as root I am allowed to edit, but then of course it is editing root's menus. Any help appreciated.

You can edit Gnome menu with alacarte easily. I dont know if its pre-installed in Mandriva. Press Alt+F2 and type alacarte. In case it doesn't pop up, install it.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I am using alacarte, and as I said, it does not let me remove some items from the menu. I can add and then remove the items I've added, but I can not remove some items. And not easily reorder it. It seems like there is a setting that does not allow me to edit my menus, or something else is preventing me. Any further help is greatly appreciated

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Check here to edit Menu manually.

Just Joined!
    That helped me!
    It seems that in mandriva (as opposed to the document you linked me to) the menu is stored under ~/.local/share/applications once I found that I could finally remove the launchers I did not want. So thank you for that!

Glad to help you !