Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all i am running mandriva 2007 i wanna get a copy of mandriva 2008 . I was wondering which is the bettter option to do an upgrade or to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

upgrade or fresh install

hi all i am running mandriva 2007 i wanna get a copy of mandriva 2008 . I was wondering which is the bettter option to do an upgrade or to do a fresh install . Does update mean i will get to save all my settings or will i have to reconfigure everything again thanx in advance

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You can upgrade or do a clean install. Most people recommend a clean install because they are usually less problematic than upgrades. If you do an update all your settings will be saved, but always backup any important files before doing an upgrade.

Assuming you have /home on a separate partition you can leave that untouched and do a clean instal. You'll keep your existing settings (but as daark.child says, back up just in case).
    Pete

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    my /home is on the same partition ok thanx guys will decide what to do

You can still do a clean instal if you copy all your important /home folders (/.mozilla, /.thunderbird, /.kde etc) and any important config files (ending in ...rc).
    When you've done your install, before you run anything, replace the appropriate files with the copies. I've done it successfully 2 or 3 times.
    Pete