Find the answer to your Linux question:
HI guys, i am new to linux and i posses only basic knowledge. So, i installed Mandriva linux one (i think) and when i tried to install wireless driver it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless driver PROBLEM

HI guys, i am new to linux and i posses only basic knowledge. So, i installed Mandriva linux one (i think) and when i tried to install wireless driver it says something like "I cannot find that driver-try load the windows driver" and opens the existing windows partition to load the driver from. (Altough it recognise my wireless card-fully). So, my question is where can i find the windows driver in the windows directory? I mean, would this help or to try to download the driver from wireless card manufactuer site-if that driver exist there at all? PLease help

p.s.since am not able to come to this forum very often can you please just send that to me on my email-THANKS
    Last edited by techieMoe; 11-29-2007 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Fixed an unfortunate typo on "guys"

First of all its not nice to determin our Sexuality since we use Linux.
    Second of all. people might not help you since of that.
    In windows the drivers are saved in C:\windows\system32
    and you need to have a .sys and .inf file.

Hope that helps

Cheers,
    Robin
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    First, let me apologise about my sexual discrimination. I was wrongly interpretated, i didn't mean "guys" like boys, then like all the frends there on the forum. Sorry again.
    Second, thanks for the solution, and i assume that those .inf and sys drivers have to carry the wirelss card name first, right? e.g. atheros ect .sys and atheros ect.inf or something else?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well something like that. But not really I have for example a Broadcom and its called bcm so you have to look for it.

But yea then you are right.

Cheers,
    Robin
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Quote Originally Posted by guko View Post
    First, let me apologise about my sexual discrimination. I was wrongly interpretated, i didn't mean "guys" like boys, then like all the frends there on the forum. Sorry again.
    Second, thanks for the solution, and i assume that those .inf and sys drivers have to carry the wirelss card name first, right? e.g. atheros ect .sys and atheros ect.inf or something else?
    Not really Boot to linux and post the output of lspci command. Run as root
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Quote Originally Posted by guko View Post
    Robin wasn't referring to the gender of the folks on the forum, I think he was referring to an unfortunate typo you had in your original post. I have since fixed it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Smile Atheros

You probably have a wireless card with Atheros chipset (based on your post). In that case you'll need to use madwifi driver.
    Grab this: SourceForge.net: Files. Download the newest source.
    Untar into your home folder, and get into that folder. You'll need kernel-source to be installed, and the open Konsole in that folder:
    1. su
    2. password +ENTER
    2.a) urpmi kernel-source-2.6.17.13mdv-1-1mdv2007.1.i586 (if you use Mandriva 2007 Spring or another which matches your kernel version). This step is optional if you've already installed the kernel sources.
    3. make
    4. modprobe ath_pci
    5. Try lsmod. If you can see ath_pci, you're on the road.
    6. Go to Mandriva Control Center, and under option Internet (or Network) establish a new wireless connection.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Just Joined!

Thank U very much

Thank you-thar really helped me.

Just Joined!

Thank U very much

Thank you-that really helped me.