Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I cannot start my linux anymore! First, I turn on my laptop and suppose to go to the login thing where u put your user name & password. but instead, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I cannot start my linux anymore! First, I turn on my laptop and suppose to go to the login thing where u put your user name & password. but instead, I got a black screen with this (and some words before it. I think its my linux version or something):

Code:
    Localhost login:
    so I typed in my login and password.
    Then, I typed firefox. (just to test)
    But then I got this:

Code:
    Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    ok ok, this is what happen before this whole problem came. -------------> I tried to install wine but failed cuz wine asked me to get XFree86/Xlib. So I went to xfree.org and download the binaries to install. It succesfully installed but I couldn't do the last part where you activate the Xserver b/c I got an error I don't remember. So I proceed on installing wine but I still got the message which wine asked me for XFree86/Xlib. I thought I already install it so I just proceed on the make depend. After that I typed in make. b4 it could finish, my laptop jammed (URGHH!! Curse that old laptop!)! So I turned it off and turn it on again and that's where it didn't take me to the login screen (I got the local host login: thingee)!

can somebody help me pls?! My dad would kill me if he finds out what I did to his laptop! I'm afraid that if everything in there disappears! pls help me solve this problem! my dad is gone for a month (his job thing) and I still have time to fix it! Any solution?

Looking forward for a solution,
    SugarBlush

Hi - It's unlikely you've lost any of your dad's important files because all you've done is to install some XFree libraries. A key question is, what version of Mandriva is that? It sounds quite old because XFree isn't supplied with 'Mandy' anymore. The current version of X is 'Xorg', and has been since version 10.1.

Firefox needs the GTK graphics library, which in turn seems to require Xorg libraries. So basically any package which relies on a graphical 'front-end' isn't going to work at the moment. I think you've created some conflicts between graphics libraries.

You could try uninstalling those (much older) libraries, but you might need to do it manually as it seems you were compiling from source. Rebooting during 'make' has left things hanging a bit.

I don't think I could sort this out remotely (I mean on here) because I would need to know which files Xlib was installing, and where it was putting them. There's a danger you might delete something you want to keep!

I would want to read the make file you ran (a pain) and get an idea of where it was putting things. The bad news is that X is very large, very complicated and you don't want to be messing with it! The good news is... Errr... Do you have the original installation disks?

After logging in try startx . Then post any error messages here.

Are you using Gnome or KDE or any other desktop environment?

One last idea: try looking in /var/log for log files relating to Xorg. Error messages in there might be useful.
    Last edited by fingal; 12-09-2007 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Extra info.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal View Post
    Hi - It's unlikely you've lost any of your dad's important files because all you've done is to install some XFree libraries. A key question is, what version of Mandriva is that? It sounds quite old because XFree isn't supplied with 'Mandy' anymore. The current version of X is 'Xorg', and has been since version 10.1.

Firefox needs the GTK graphics library, which in turn seems to require Xorg libraries. So basically any package which relies on a graphical 'front-end' isn't going to work at the moment. I think you've created some conflicts between graphics libraries.

You could try uninstalling those (much older) libraries, but you might need to do it manually as it seems you were compiling from source. Rebooting during 'make' has left things hanging a bit.

I don't think I could sort this out remotely (I mean on here) because I would need to know which files Xlib was installing, and where it was putting them. There's a danger you might delete something you want to keep!

I would want to read the make file you ran (a pain) and get an idea of where it was putting things. The bad news is that X is very large, very complicated and you don't want to be messing with it! The good news is... Errr... Do you have the original installation disks?

After logging in try startx . Then post any error messages here.

Are you using Gnome or KDE or any other desktop environment?

One last idea: try looking in /var/log for log files relating to Xorg. Error messages in there might be useful.
    I'm using KDE..
    anyway, I tried the startx and it worked! brings me to my desktop and everything was there. My dad's files and everything was there...I tried to open firefox and it's fine...(that's the bright side)

The dark side is that when I tried to open the GIMP, there's a message telling me that my Fontconfig version is too old and it needs me to upgrade it to 2.2.X or later. Its not usually like that. So I opened synaptic and found out that I have two different versions of Fontconfig installed (one is 2.2.something and the other is 1. 2.something). I know I wasn't suppose to do this, but I uninstall one of them (the older version). I reboot the laptop and and now nothing shows! it suppose to show a black screen with localhost login: but now it doesn't show anything! Just a black screen with a white dash at the left top corner. I tried to type something but it doesn't shows anything that I typed! Is there anyway I can fix it? like install my Fontconfig back from single user mode? (or will that make it worst? idk) is this a very serious problem?

PS: How do you look in /var/log for log files b/c I can't even get to my desktop!

ANY SOLUTION???

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi - Hmmm not sure. Are you using Mandriva? You refered to Synaptic which is designed for Debian. I have only a small amount of experience with Debian distros.

I somehow doubt that your problems are just related to uninstalling Fontconfig, but it seems strange that you can't get a log-in screen.

Do you have an installation disk? If so there might be the option to boot from the disk and install that package again.

Be very careful! You don't want to do a complete install and overwrite all those files... All you want is to get back to a useable desktop.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Exclamation

Hi - Hmmm not sure. Are you using Mandriva? You refered to Synaptic which is designed for Debian. I have only a small amount of experience with Debian distros.

I somehow doubt that your problems are just related to uninstalling Fontconfig, but it seems strange that you can't get a log-in screen.

Do you have an installation disk? If so there might be the option to boot from the disk and install that package again.

Be very careful! You don't want to do a complete install and overwrite all those files... All you want is to get back to a useable desktop.
    hi

yes, I'm sure I'm using Mandrake. Also, I still have the installation disk lying on my desk. How do I install the package again without doing a complete install? I just want my X11R6 directory in my /usr/ to be like that just like before I install XFree86. urrggh! Why did I install Xfree86 in the first place?! How should I uninstall it?

Hi again - Before you do anything, how much do you know about how your hard drive is partitioned? If your system files are on one partition, and your dad's personal files in a separate /home partition you're in business.

If everything is under / then things are more tricky. You see, in the first case you could just 'upgrade' from the installation disk. Mandriva's partition tool is good at prompting you, and whatever you do you mustn't format /home .

In the second case, those personal files will be under / and upgrading would be more risky in my view. In that case I would recommend booting from a Linux 'Live' distro (like Slax or Knoppix) and copying essential files to another hard drive / PC.

Basically, don't do anything until you are sure you know where essential data is kept. Make a few notes etc. As you don't have a working distro anymore I can't see many more options. Booting from the install disk might give you the option to 'fix' things. You might want to just try it and see.

Just Joined!
    Hi again - Before you do anything, how much do you know about how your hard drive is partitioned? If your system files are on one partition, and your dad's personal files in a separate /home partition you're in business.

If everything is under / then things are more tricky. You see, in the first case you could just 'upgrade' from the installation disk. Mandriva's partition tool is good at prompting you, and whatever you do you mustn't format /home .

In the second case, those personal files will be under / and upgrading would be more risky in my view. In that case I would recommend booting from a Linux 'Live' distro (like Slax or Knoppix) and copying essential files to another hard drive / PC.

Basically, don't do anything until you are sure you know where essential data is kept. Make a few notes etc. As you don't have a working distro anymore I can't see many more options. Booting from the install disk might give you the option to 'fix' things. You might want to just try it and see.
    I don't have slax or knoppix. will elive do?

Quote Originally Posted by SugarBlush View Post
    I don't have slax or knoppix. will elive do?
    I don't know, never used that. Give it a try because all you need to do is mount your partitions and have a look at them. Then perhaps copy some files off your hdd.

And don't worry, I've 'killed' my PC dozens of times and survived.

Just Joined!
    how do you uninstall Xfree86 from LiveCD?? Anyway, I'm booting from PCLinuxOS.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarBlush View Post
    how do you uninstall Xfree86 from LiveCD??
    You don't... If you try deleting random binaries from the live cd you'll probably get into deeper water. The only reason I suggested a live cd was so you could see your partitions and perhaps get a feel for where things are located before you think about using the install disk again.

What you're thinking is, 'I need to do this, at any price.' It's not so much about uninstalling it (you would need to do that from within a working distro) more about using your installation disk to get back to where you were before, but without overwriting your dad's files.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast