Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hey, I think I tripped you up. I figured out why I had trouble downloading C-F. So I removed the post about not being able to. However, it would appear ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hey, I think I tripped you up. I figured out why I had trouble downloading C-F. So I removed the post about not being able to. However, it would appear that I didn't get to that in time. That is fine because I am still doing most of what you suggested in your most recent reply and I am grateful for that. Right now, my current issues are in my last post, which is a re-post. Just look at the one right above your most recent. Sorry, man.

I hope you get over your illness, soon.

Just Joined!
    More on the 3D issues..........
    What kind of gfx card......What gfx drivers (dkms or nVidia standalone) do you have mesa demos installed? glxgears is a good test to see if your 3d acceleration is working.....that or an openGL screensaver like Euphoria.....
    It sounds like your 3d environment is broken. That happens. :o
    Which kernel......latest? X11 version? etc. The more info the better. You may want to update your sources and manually update your dkms-nvidia.....or maybe.....remove the dkms-nvidia and re-install it. This may get you a console login and X won't start. So unless you are comfortable with editing the xorg.conf file from a console using vi or vim then don't do that.
    First thing, make sure that the package mesa-demos is installed....
    from a shell: $ glxgears. Is it working? What kind of frame rate? The only thing this will tell us is if opengl is functioning and at what level.

What we are going to avoid is re-installing the OS. It isn't necessary and can be fixed without doing such an extreme thing......this isn't windows.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by SkittleLinux18 View Post
    Hey Brad, Happy New Year to you, as well. And, thank you for the best wishes. I am 95% recovered and ahead of schedule. So all is well!

Ok, I removed Compiz-Fusion via Package Manager. Then, using the Terminal, I deleted all system folders for C-F. I logged out of KDE and back in. Then I reinstalled C-F via Package Manager. When I went to enable 3d Desktop, I was told that my system does not support 3d Desktop.

Now, this is interesting, because when I first install Mandriva, my system supports it every time. And the 3d Desktop works everytime. So this brings me back to my initial post. After multiple updates, in previous reinstalls (before this time around), I run into the problems I described in that first post. When I would try to work with it, I had to disable 3d Desktop as Minthlika suggested. That fixes everything, but that is also when my system stops supporting 3d Desktop. Now we're here: 3d Desktop problems, turn off 3d Desktop, removed and reinstalled C-F, system does not support 3d Desktop, and I have not reinstalled Mandriva this time around.

Right now, my Graphics Card setting (in MCC/Hardware/Graphical Server) is set to "Nvidia GeForce FX and Later."

Just Joined!
    Hey, I think I tripped you up. I figured out why I had trouble downloading C-F. So I removed the post about not being able to. However, it would appear that I didn't get to that in time. That is fine because I am still doing most of what you suggested in your most recent reply and I am grateful for that. Right now, my current issues are in my last post, which is a re-post. Just look at the one right above your most recent. Sorry, man.

I hope you get over your illness, soon.

No worries, lets see if we can't fix this bugger.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by bradslinux View Post
    More on the 3D issues..........
    What kind of gfx card......What gfx drivers (dkms or nVidia standalone) do you have mesa demos installed? glxgears is a good test to see if your 3d acceleration is working.....that or an openGL screensaver like Euphoria.....
    It sounds like your 3d environment is broken. That happens. :o
    Which kernel......latest? X11 version? etc. The more info the better. You may want to update your sources and manually update your dkms-nvidia.....or maybe.....remove the dkms-nvidia and re-install it. This may get you a console login and X won't start. So unless you are comfortable with editing the xorg.conf file from a console using vi or vim then don't do that.
    First thing, make sure that the package mesa-demos is installed....
    from a shell: $ glxgears. Is it working? What kind of frame rate? The only thing this will tell us is if opengl is functioning and at what level.

What we are going to avoid is re-installing the OS. It isn't necessary and can be fixed without doing such an extreme thing......this isn't windows.

Brad
    We're going to get this, I know it. The first three times this happened, I reinstalled because I just thought it was something stupid. After four times, I knew this was something more than just me messing something up. So that's why I jumped on this. Especially when I saw that MDV Tech Forums admit to not knowing what the problem is.

Ok, here's what I have done:

1) command line "glxgears" does give me a window with gears running in it. This is the information that is outputted:
    [stubblelinux@localhost ~]$ glxgears
    945 frames in 5.3 seconds = 177.596 FPS
    910 frames in 5.4 seconds = 168.430 FPS
    910 frames in 5.7 seconds = 160.503 FPS
    910 frames in 5.4 seconds = 167.891 FPS
    910 frames in 5.6 seconds = 162.975 FPS

2) I am almost postive my drivers are Nvidia standalone. Nvidia is the section I select them in.

3) mesa-demos is installed and updated. (Even after the media source updating you had me do)

4) I did have a dkms-nvidia driver installed, but I am willing to bet I wasn't using it. I just installed dkms-nividia96xx. I just wish I could find them in MCC when setting up my graphical server.

5) My Kernal is the latest.

6) I don't know which x11 version I have. Maybe you could help me figure that out.

... that's all I have for now.

Just Joined!
    Those are very slow frame rates. I would say that opengl is crippled.
    which version of mandriva?
    which model gfx card?
    Brad

We're going to get this, I know it. The first three times this happened, I reinstalled because I just thought it was something stupid. After four times, I knew this was something more than just me messing something up. So that's why I jumped on this. Especially when I saw that MDV Tech Forums admit to not knowing what the problem is.

Ok, here's what I have done:

1) command line "glxgears" does give me a window with gears running in it. This is the information that is outputted:
    [stubblelinux@localhost ~]$ glxgears
    945 frames in 5.3 seconds = 177.596 FPS
    910 frames in 5.4 seconds = 168.430 FPS
    910 frames in 5.7 seconds = 160.503 FPS
    910 frames in 5.4 seconds = 167.891 FPS
    910 frames in 5.6 seconds = 162.975 FPS

2) I am almost postive my drivers are Nvidia standalone. Nvidia is the section I select them in.

3) mesa-demos is installed and updated. (Even after the media source updating you had me do)

4) I did have a dkms-nvidia driver installed, but I am willing to bet I wasn't using it. I just installed dkms-nividia96xx. I just wish I could find them in MCC when setting up my graphical server.

5) My Kernal is the latest.

6) I don't know which x11 version I have. Maybe you could help me figure that out.

... that's all I have for now.

Those are very slow frame rates. I would say that opengl is crippled.
    which version of mandriva?
    which model gfx card?
    Brad
    Mandriva Version 2008.0 I can't find any other info on this.

gfx card is NVidia FX 5200

Just Joined!
    Mandriva Version 2008.0 I can't find any other info on this.

gfx card is NVidia FX 5200
    Try removing the current dkms-nvidia packages then reinstalling them.
    I have installed 2008 on several systems with a 5200 card. No issues there.
    If this doesn't work, you may try to do a "upgrade" install. You could reset the x environment from the upgrade install. Boot to the dvd/cd and instead of installing, select to upgrade....... It's a poor way of doing it, but the easiest I can tell you in a forum environment. I don't know where your skill set is, so I am afraid of advising you to do something that will leave you at a console login with no viable xserver to run from. I could do it, but explaining to you how to do it is very complicated. .......and the day grows shorter.

Brad

Try removing the current dkms-nvidia packages then reinstalling them.
    I have installed 2008 on several systems with a 5200 card. No issues there.
    If this doesn't work, you may try to do a "upgrade" install. You could reset the x environment from the upgrade install. Boot to the dvd/cd and instead of installing, select to upgrade....... It's a poor way of doing it, but the easiest I can tell you in a forum environment. I don't know where your skill set is, so I am afraid of advising you to do something that will leave you at a console login with no viable xserver to run from. I could do it, but explaining to you how to do it is very complicated. .......and the day grows shorter.

Brad
    Hey Brad, I apologize for the very-delayed response. I did get around to your most recent advice and tried doing an upgrade install on Mandriva. I could not find that option anywhere on the live cd. I did try seeing what the "Upgrade to Pro" icon would give me, but did not want to spend $59 on it. So I booted into PCLOS 2007 on my laptop to try comparing system settings. 3d Desktop works beautifully on that. The good news is, PCLOS came out with their "Mini Me" version. I really liked it, installed it over Mandriva on my desktop, and all works well on that; 3d Desktop included. So I will probably just stick with that.

I hate to negate all our efforts on this. However, I like PCLOS a lot, and I really like the Mini Me version. I do think you're right that my OpenGL was broken. I tried several reinstalls through the package manager, all to no avail. So maybe PCLOS 2008 Mini Me is just my salvation this time around.

Brad, I thank you for your help. I learned a lot from you. We'll probably speak again. Until then, take care.

Kevin.

P.S. Remember, those who enjoy linux are condemned to fix it for life! =)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2