Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
The past three times I have installed Mandriva, everything goes smoothly. I am able to customize, set up 3D Desktop, update, and everything else. However, there always comes a point ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

3D desktop gone, windows borders missing, viewports gone

The past three times I have installed Mandriva, everything goes smoothly. I am able to customize, set up 3D Desktop, update, and everything else. However, there always comes a point where something happens, and I do not know what that is because I don't notice it until the next time I log in. Then this is what happens:

1) 3D desktop is gone (see screen shot below)
    snapshot1.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2) windows borders and title bars are gone (see screen shot below)
    snapshot2.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

3) viewports are gone

4) windows open up off the screen and I am unable to move them.

5) i can't type in most text fields, however, the keyboard does work. i am able to type in passwords when prompted to.

6) i can't type in the terminal at all.

I do not know what is happening. My first few restarts after install are fine. It's after updates and configuring that it starts. When I look at my 3D desktop, it says my system doesn't support it. but how can that bee when it was before the last restart?

Please help.

I've faced similar troubles. The 3D desktops are still buggy. I'm using them for advertising purpose only. Try to switch back to the normal desktop mode without Beryl, Compiz etc. Can you log out with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace ?
    If you can select as option the drake3D under the session type and restore the desktop without effects. If it doesn't help, try to boot up in safe mode and in the terminal type XFdrake to invoke the handler.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Ok, I went into Mandriva and disabled 3d desktop and ctr-alt-backspaced out. Then, when I logged back in, everything was working (minus the 3d desktop, of course). My viewports were back, winow title bars were back, and I could type. It's bummer I wont have 3d desktop for now. Oh well, at least I have a working Linux; and so for that, I am grateful to you.
    Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Which version of Mandriva? What kind of graphics card? Have you done any updates to your kernel, X11...etc anything that may effect loading 3d acceleration.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by bradslinux View Post
    Which version of Mandriva? What kind of graphics card? Have you done any updates to your kernel, X11...etc anything that may effect loading 3d acceleration.

Brad
    No, he didn't. It's just a bug in the application. Still not all the graphical cards are fully supported, I mean not all the features it could use. The 3D desktops are still in development. They are nice, but not faultless. The Kwin freezes sometimes even without 3D desktop running. You can start it with Konsole typing kwin.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by minthaka View Post
    No, he didn't. It's just a bug in the application. Still not all the graphical cards are fully supported, I mean not all the features it could use. The 3D desktops are still in development. They are nice, but not faultless. The Kwin freezes sometimes even without 3D desktop running. You can start it with Konsole typing kwin.
    Yes, they are in dev. But I havn't had kwin to crash. Besides, kwin isn't the WM when compiz or beryl are running. They are independent Wm's. Compiz or beryl may crash and revert back to kwin.....big "may" here. I have seen more failures caused by user intervention than by buggy software. Most of the time it is something the user has done.

Cheers

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by bradslinux View Post
    Yes, they are in dev. But I havn't had kwin to crash. Besides, kwin isn't the WM when compiz or beryl are running. They are independent Wm's. Compiz or beryl may crash and revert back to kwin.....big "may" here. I have seen more failures caused by user intervention than by buggy software. Most of the time it is something the user has done.

Cheers

Brad
    Hey guys, sorry it has taken so long for me to reply. I had surgery just before Christmas (two days after my original post). So I was kind of out of commission for a while. I have answers to posts and THANK YOU, BOTH for helping (and arguing hehe).

I do have automatic updates turned on in Mandriva. I have to agree with Brad that IT PROBABLY IS SOMETHING I'VE DONE. The first few KDE starts, 3d Desktop works fine. It's usually after several updates that the 3d environment goes all wacky. I don't know if I am installing conflicting x11 drivers, graphical drivers, or what. Mandriva has been running fine since I turned off the 3d Desktop. But I would like to get it back if I could.

My buddy and I really think it has something to do with the automatic updates. I don't get to choose which updates to install and which to ignore (or at least, I don't know how). Anyway, everything works fine until after multiple updates have been installed. If we get this figured out, I'd like to tell Mandriva, because their tech forums have posts from people experiencing the same problems and the tech admins who monitor those forums admit they don't know what the problem is.

The truth is, those who enjoy linux are condemned to fix it for life! hehe =)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkittleLinux18 View Post

The truth is, those who enjoy linux are condemned to fix it for life! hehe =)
    Heya, I hope you are recovering well from your surgery. Happy New Year to you.
    I don't thing that automatic updates itself has anything to do with what you are experiencing, just that it may be installing updates that are the problem. Kernel updates, (I think are disabled in the mkdapplet) and have to be done by the user from MCC. But, X11 and nVidia drivers WILL update through auto updates. As well as other items that may effect how your X server functions or plays with the selected Window Manager. What you may try, is un-installing compiz-fusion and then re-installing after the updates/problems occur. This could reset some of the variables to the current running system. I have seen some buggy behavior from compiz-fusion, but that is to be expected in dev level software. You should make sure that in CCSM that Crash Handler is enabled, and that you have kwin as the WM to revert to....or whatever needs to be there for Gnome. I don't use Gnome so I don't know what it is called. That way when the compiz WM crashes, it will revert back to kwin and you will still have a desktop you can deal with. I have also been running a little app called fusion-icon........compiled from source a while back, that allows you to manage compiz very much like the beryl manager did.

I hope some of this helped,
    Brad

Hey Brad, Happy New Year to you, as well. And, thank you for the best wishes. I am 95% recovered and ahead of schedule. So all is well!

Ok, I removed Compiz-Fusion via Package Manager. Then, using the Terminal, I deleted all system folders for C-F. I logged out of KDE and back in. Then I reinstalled C-F via Package Manager. When I went to enable 3d Desktop, I was told that my system does not support 3d Desktop.

Now, this is interesting, because when I first install Mandriva, my system supports it every time. And the 3d Desktop works everytime. So this brings me back to my initial post. After multiple updates, in previous reinstalls (before this time around), I run into the problems I described in that first post. When I would try to work with it, I had to disable 3d Desktop as Minthlika suggested. That fixes everything, but that is also when my system stops supporting 3d Desktop. Now we're here: 3d Desktop problems, turn off 3d Desktop, removed and reinstalled C-F, system does not support 3d Desktop, and I have not reinstalled Mandriva this time around.

Right now, my Graphics Card setting (in MCC/Hardware/Graphical Server) is set to "Nvidia GeForce FX and Later."

Just Joined!

Talking

Heya,
    Glad to hear your recovery is going so well. Now if I could just get rid of this nasty cold. rhinovirus suxxxx.

The version mismatch from the MCC Software Management is being caused by a sources conflict or mismatch....or it's not able to find the version at the repository that you are telling it to look for. Be sure to update your sources......don't be too afraid to try the backport or testing sources for dev level software. I wouldn't use them for system updates or production software updates, but for something like compiz, they are pretty safe...and you get the current mandriva build for that software.........The current version/name from the sources I have for compiz is 0.6.2-2mdv2008.0. Make sure you update the other compiz packages to that version as well.
    To update your sources, go to the MCC "Configure media sources for install and update" menu. Once there, you will see a list of all your sources. Click on "File" and select to update. You will be given another list on which of the sources you want to update.
    If you need more sources......
    easyurpmi: Easy Urpmi

I have attached a text file of sources. If you make this text file executable, you can run it as a script..........er........pseudo script.
    cd to the directory the text file is in.......su
    You might want to remove your old sources before you do this to avoid confusion.
    These sources point to the servers at Indiana University. And France for plf.

# sh sources.txt
    or you can remove the .txt from the filename and then the command would be just:
    #sh sources
    It will add each source in the text file in turn.......automates the process a little.

Hope this helps, Software issues and source issues can be a little aggrevating.
    Part of the price we pay for FREEDOM!

FREE THE PENGUINS!!!!
    Brad
    "The personal computer is one of the most advanced pieces of technology that mankind has ever developed. It has empowered us to do some very amazing things. One way for the average person to learn how to use such a complicated device is to break it and then fix what we have broken. This is an arduous journey of learning that is required if we want to enjoy the benefits of the technology. "
    aaargh.......I just quoted myself.
    http://www.bradslinux.net/currentDesktop.png
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast