Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have downloaded mandriva linux 2008.1 ISO file and I don't have a dvd burner to burn it. But I have another 40G hard drive. Maybe I can extract ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandriva 2008.1 Non-DVD Installation

Hello,
    I have downloaded mandriva linux 2008.1 ISO file and I don't have a dvd burner to burn it. But I have another 40G hard drive. Maybe I can extract the Iso file to the HDD, but how can I make it bootable? Can anyone help please?

Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I've never installed a distro directly from the hard drive so can't offer any specific advice, but here's a HowTo detailing how to do it with Mandriva:

Mandriva Hard Disk Install

You'll probably need to make a few changes to make it work for your particular situation.

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I'm in the same boat, and am trying to figure out how to do this, because I am out of cd's and my dvd driver's intergrity has dropped. I am hoping to use unetbootin for Mandriva work in order to have this installed directly from Hard Drive. I will give my results later as soon as I accomplish this. You can download this via sourceforge.net. Let me know if you need any help.

Just Joined!

Cool

Here is the solution to your problem: Visit Lubi, LVPM, UNetbootin, and Bubakup - UNetbootin and download and install unetbootin. Many Linux distributions support this installation type including Mandriva. Basically, you won't need to worry about using a CD, rather you will need to install this software in your Windows Operating System, and reboot. From there you will go into Unetbootin (on the bootloader) and answer the questions. Many Linux users use Unetbootin for running network installs (which I recommend) meaning that the as you install, the packages are being downloaded simultaneously from a particular mirror. However, there is also an option to install from hard disk, but I recommend that you stay away from this because it seems buggy. Hopefully if you have a fast internet connection, this is the best way to go. Upon doing Network Install, I recommend the following settings. Use FTP, DNS should be automatic (left blank), and you select the "anl" server or "Indiana" These are pretty simply procedures. You shouldn't get lost along your way if you use unetbootin. Good Luck, don't hesitate to ask my for further support. I will be more than glad to assist you.

Just Joined!
    I installed UNetbootin mandriva2008rev10 and booted. I selected hard drive install and specified the location of my iso file. It appeared that I was missing many files in the Iso image. Did I get the right version download?

However, I haven't tried doing the internet connection yet.

Just Joined!
    I am assuming you downloaded UNetbootin from: SourceForge.net: Downloading ...

If you select to install Mandriva via UNetbootin (Internet Installation), you have to select "FTP Server" not Hard Drive. Downloading the ISO Image was pointless, because when selecting FTP Server, UNetbootin takes care of the rest by accessing a directory online and downloading the necessary files to install Mandriva 2008 on its own. Make sure that when you select FTP Server you also configure your DHCP (which is most of the time, auto, therefore, leave both sections blank when prompted for the configuration) After installation, to configure the O/S such as your Username, etc will take place in text-mode, not graphical, so don't worry about this.

You may need to reinstall UNetbootin again if you still deciding to install Mandriva, because after you reaccess your Windows O/S, UNetbootin automatically uninstalls.
    Hope this helps.

Be sure when selecting the appropriate server for UNetbootin to download the O/S packages, I recommend one that is closest to your proximity to where you live.

I was successfully able to install Mandriva on my system through using UNetbootin, User-Friendly! =)

Let me know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by dave696185 View Post
    I installed UNetbootin mandriva2008rev10 and booted. I selected hard drive install and specified the location of my iso file. It appeared that I was missing many files in the Iso image. Did I get the right version download?

However, I haven't tried doing the internet connection yet.

Just Joined!
    Hi...I am very much a newbie to this and have just set up an usb HDD on my laptop computer internally running Vista. I would like to install Mandriva to the usb HD and also boot it from that disk...is this possible and how would I do that with UNetbootin? Thanks. Neil

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by neilevan814 View Post
    Hi...I am very much a newbie to this and have just set up an usb HDD on my laptop computer internally running Vista. I would like to install Mandriva to the usb HD and also boot it from that disk...is this possible and how would I do that with UNetbootin? Thanks. Neil
    Welcome to the forums!

You can download and get installation instructions for using Unetbootin from here:

UNetbootin - The Universal Netboot Installer

Hope it works out for you.
    oz

I just used UNetbootin for the first time when I upgraded to Fedora 8. All you have to do is select the OS you want to install, and it gives very easy to follow directions. Just make sure to take note of the suggested mirror and method that it gives you (I wrote mine on a scrap paper). You shouldn't run into any major issues, but let us know if you do.
    Last edited by jayd512; 04-23-2008 at 04:17 AM. Reason: typo
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!

UNetbootin for USB HDD install

Thanks for the link to the UNetbootin installation....great guidance there..I am going to try this and let you know how I made out. Neil the Newbie