Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed Mandriva 2008 One on my laptop, a dell e1505 after having used the Spring 2007 One version for several months. Now when I logout from the current ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Log out problem with Mandriva 2008 One

I recently installed Mandriva 2008 One on my laptop, a dell e1505 after having used the Spring 2007 One version for several months. Now when I logout from the current session, I don't get the window that allows you to switch to a new user, restart or completely shutdown. The process just stalls until I hit the power switch and turn the computer off.

I am running Mandriva in a dual boot setup with xp pro but the logout issue wasn't a problem with the previous version , Spring 2007.

Has anyone else seen this or knows of a solution. I am fairly new to linux and
    any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

thanx in advance...

This looks very much like a problem with your login manager. Assuming you use KDE it's called KDM. Mandriva - I think - comes with a bespoke login manager for KDE as well. It seems that when you updated to 2008 your installer got rid of KDM, or changed the default settings.

I haven't played with this feature for a while, but you either need to:

1. Go into Mandrivas 'control centre' (Configure my Computer) and select a new login manager... or

2. Install KDM in case Mandriva deleted it.

With luck this problem isn't too hard to fix.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    It appears that KDM is installed - it shows up in the list of software anyway.

KDM also shows as the default login manager. My other choice is XDM.

I am really getting frustrated with this distro. It is billed as being a good choice for new users but my experience has been far from that.

I cannot tell you how much time I have wasted on internet searches for
    solutions to problems like this with what I consider to be basic to the operating system itself. Logging in and out cannot get much more basic to
    any operating system.

Sorry to vent on you - no one else has even had a reasonably intelligent idea about what could be wrong except you including the so-called gurus at MandrivaClub, etc.

Okay, any ideas how I can proceed to resolve this?

Hmmm strange. Have you tried re-selecting KDM in the Control Centre? If you do that and it still doesn't work then I think you have a bug on your hands as XDM is only a very basic login manager.

I agree that this is frustrating and that this feature should just work. I've seen this myself and it removes that essential feeling of confidence in the distro.

If your problems persist you might consider using another distro; I can assure you that KDM actually works!

If you installed Mandriva using a CD (having downloaded an ISO and burnt it to a disk) then that can cause unforseen problems, because it implies that you have quite a lot of libraries and additional 'bells and whistles' missing.

As for 'Linux gurus' I have my doubts about those. After all, they are usually people with a lot of post counts. Does quantity equal quality?

Also, try looking in /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc (type cat /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc) and think about how KDM is set up. Can anything be altered to get it to work?
    Last edited by fingal; 01-04-2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: More info. to add
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    thanx for your help...

How do I find out how KDE should work? I mean the whole process?

I am wondering if I install either a different version or reinstall this version that would fix the login manager.

I am trying a couple different distros to see which one I like best and while the login problem is minor, I would like to have Mandriva work the same as the other distros so that I can compare apples to apples - no pun intended.

I would like to become more knowledgeable about Linux but I feel it is important that Mandriva should at least work properly from the outset so that I can at least have a starting point in my education

Quote Originally Posted by linux_challenged View Post
    thanx for your help...

How do I find out how KDE should work? I mean the whole process?
    KDE is a very large and complex system. Learning in the open source world is about trying things out, reading documentation and - if you want to develop software - looking at source code. I only do it at the level of reading documents and trial and error, but the KDE website would be a good place to start. This also looks useful.

There are some differences between distros and their releases. For example, new Mandriva releases tend to have a lot of bugs (it's notorious for this!), but these get fixed quite quickly. The open source community is open about bugs. At some stage most people get involved in reporting them or bug testing (which can actually be fun!)

It's possible to install different versions of KDE using binaries (probably the best way) or source code, but I've had no real success with that, prefering to use a Mandriva installation disk.

As a general rule, try to avoid using the very latest releases of distros. They might well have some interesting features, but they also have glitches. I'm using version 2007.1 and everything works. KDE seems bug free on that release. My guess is that if I'd used 2007 I would have had problems. These are just general hints.
    Last edited by fingal; 01-07-2008 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Extra stuff