Find the answer to your Linux question:
The only version that appears to be available it for KDE4. I am using gnome, and when I try to select Quanta using the software management tool, it gives me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why won't Quanta install?

The only version that appears to be available it for KDE4. I am using gnome, and when I try to select Quanta using the software management tool, it gives me this error:

Sorry, the following package cannot be selected:

- kde4-quanta-3.93.0-0.711694.2mdv2008.0.i586

Why is that happening, and how can I get quanta installed? Thanks.

oz
    forum.guy
    If you are running Gnome, you really should consider installing something other than Quanta because it was developed to run on KDE and that means you'll need mounds of other files installed on top of your clean Gnome installation.

I'd recommend trying Bluefish. It works great under Gnome and doesn't have lots of dependencies.

You can find some other options here:

HTML | Linux App Finder
    oz

Just Joined!
    I've tried Bluefish, and I like it, except that after using it for a while, it's code highlighting always start to act strange. It will leave large sections of code without any highlights. Then if I add a character such as a space, and then delete the charachter I just added, some of the highlighting will return. I'd rather not have to mess with doing that repeatedly. I tried Screem, but it crashed a little too often, and took a long time saving files to my webserver. I'm totally willing to switch to KDE just for the sake of quanta, but will it install then? The only version listed in the repos was for kde4.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Another very popular editor that you might want to check out is Nvu.

I think they quit distributing regular Quanta for the latest versions of KDE, but are are now calling it Quanta Plus. You might have luck installing it from the repos, but I'm not sure.

You might have to install it from source, which can be problematic itself.
    oz

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You can try the version for kde3 which is part of the kdewebdev package. In addition to NVU and BlueFish, you can also take a look at Screem.