Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi guys `n` gals, Im new to this Linux movement but i am a little confused. I have downloaded Mandrake 9.1 ISO file & i have unpacked (is this the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 9.1 Help For A Thick Person :)

Hi guys `n` gals,
    Im new to this Linux movement but i am a little confused. I have downloaded Mandrake 9.1 ISO file & i have unpacked (is this the right word?) the image file.... how do i go about installing it on my system?

I have been looking for 2 days to try and find the install icon but i cant find it at all.

Can anyone point me to an "Idiots Guide To Installing Mandrake?" because i cannot find any documentaion that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Neal
    P.S. Please dont flame me for asking dumb questions

Actually the .iso file you downloaded needs to bo burned to a cd, but it has to be burned in a special way. You need to burn it so the cd is bootable, what burning program do you use?

Afterwards, you ensure the bios is set to boot from the cd-drive first (then the harddrive second), and you're set.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that.

In the end i decided to go and buy Mandrake 10 Discovery, i have it all installed but now i have got the problem of getting my modem to work.

I know work on Linux but this one i have has a Linux driver..... but guess what, it wont work! Do you have any clues that might help me?

Altho i am currently looking around for an old 56k hardware driven modem but again im not having much luck!

I must admit even tho i have had a few teething problems with this i feel confident enough to say that the Mandrake o/s is by far better than XP! If i can get this mode issue sorted i dont think i will be returning to windows anytime soon.

Just Joined!
    Make sure it is not a winmodem. Linux has hardly any support for them. If you don't get your modem to work (and it is a winmodem), just buy a new modem, one from a relative good company. Should work then.

if you have alot of trouble finding one, i think i have an old one that ill ship to you if you pay shipping, always ready to help out a new linuxer!
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    well since my last post i have tried no less than 6 different modems!
    One of which did have linux drivers on the software disc but when i went to install the driver it kept coming up saying something like "Sorry only kernel 2.4 or higher supported which i find odd because this is on Mandrake 10.

Am i doing something wrong?

Neal

that is odd, mandrake 10 has the 2.6 kernel, visit the companies website, and see if you cant find an updated driver,(2.6 probably was not relesed as 'stable' when that driver was written).

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Ok i checked out my kernel version using the uname -r command & i got back that the version was: 2.4.22.21.3mdk

I have been around every PC hardware store in Milton Keynes (where i live in the UK) and got them to call there suppliers to see if they can locate a hardware modem and guess what..... nothing!

Anyway i have gone back to the original modem that is a SinglePoint (CNet) 56k and i have been trying to download drivers from:
    http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/...ds-mdk-x86.php
    but im still not having much luck.
    The modem is a HSF (Softmodem)
    Do you have any advice?

Sorry to be a pain in the arse

did you download one of those? all you have to do is unzip it, then run
    Code:
    rpm -i <packagename>
    if that happens and you restart x, and still have problems, post them.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Right the package is executable, but when executed i get this msg:

Some packages could not be installed: hsfmodem -6.03.00lnxt04072900full-li386(due to unsatisfied gcc)
    Do you agree?

How much would you charge for shipping of that modem you were talking about the other day? im in the UK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast